• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

24 Year Old Perkins Loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheNJBen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello... In 1992 I attended a certain college and took, as part of my financial aid, a Perkins loan. Considering its 24 years later I have no way of knowing if I paid that particular loan or not and now I receive a call from a collection agency saying that I owe it. The loan is legit as I can find it on studentloans.gov but whether or not it was paid I can not say. To be honest, I am not sure what bank I was even using at that time and I certainly do not have any records. I know that there is no statute of limitations but how can I know for sure if I paid it or not considering I have not heard from them in, once again, 24 years. Apparently this has happened to others as well. The collection agent is being a real jerk saying he would give me a day to do a consolidation loan to get it paid with other loans I am paying though he "gracefully" gave me to the end of the week to begin actively collecting and said his first act would be to call my employer but just to confirm my employment. Not that I really care, I work for the USPS so he would be calling someone in the gigantic administrative section of the USPS to someone I would never even see or meet but I assume that was meant to be some kind of threat. Is there any way to even get this guy off my back so I can figure things out? It is not a back-breaking amount but still the come back after 24 years, say I owe them this money, and, oh, can you give it to me right now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">