• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice Needed - 5 year old repossession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OhWhatHaveIDone

I presently live in TN. I started cleaning up my credit about a year ago. Regions, who was the note holder, had a reported balance of $0. I knew this not true and did not want this to come back and haunt me. Added to that, I want to make sure I do the right thing, that is by the letter of the law. So here are the bullet points:
- I lived and purchased the car in Alabama
- Account went delinquent 7/2010
- Last payment was 11/2010, account was not made current with this payment
- Lost my job and was working on the west coast, staying in a hotel
- I worked with the skip to voluntarily leave my car at an airport paid parking lot (video surveillance if they said car wasn't there). This took place in California
- I've since moved to Tennessee 3 years ago
- Regions validated the dispute with the credit bureaus and moved the balance from $0.00 to $12.3K
- I have sent two letters to Regions asking for Proof that I was invited to the auction for the vehicle. I have also sent a letter requesting proof of deficiency, meaning what the vehicle was sold for, etc. I sent my first letter to Regions on 2/16/15, they responded on 3/12/2016. My second letter to them was on 3/14/16 and they responded on 3/25/16. The letter I received back from them was more like a form letter that validated the debt. They gave me a payment history and a letter that stated they had repossessed the vehicle and if I did not pay in full that it would be sold on or after 8/9/2011.
- The letters from Regions state that this is not an attempt to collect a debt, simply a communication and if I wanted to discuss further I would have to call the recovery team.

I believe that the statute of limitations for TN are 6 years. I just don't know what the date would be. This has been "charged off" and is not active. Yes, I know I still owe. However:

1) I don't want to offer a settlement for $2K and receive a 1099-C for $10K
2) I have more leverage knowing what the exact SOL date is, if I have to negotiate.
3) Why won't they product the sale information? If they cannot or won't how do I proceed?
4) Shouldn't I have been invited to the auction?
5) What state laws preside here? Where the car was repo'd or where I currently live? I assume where I legally live.

I could have left this at $0 and let it age off my report. Per the 3 credit reporting agencies this is scheduled to come off my credit report on 6/2017.

What should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">