• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice Sought: Settling Account with Collection Agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lollavid

I really need some help here. My wife and I opened an Old Navy credit card over a year ago. We accidentally put the wrong mailing address, so we never received the card nor the bill. Recently we have been harassed by a Collections Agency who want to collect $320 on a $120 bill.

I should mention that my credit history was, until now, IMMACULATE! :-(

I called today and apparently there are multiple companies involved. The main one that handles the debt offered to settle (today only!) for 80%, or $250. They told me however that I can contact the company they have hired for the day-to-day activities (or some such nonsense- anyways, they are the company that keeps calling us!) and they may be able to provide a better deal.

I am quite honestly totally lost. I do know that the last time I was called I got upset (I said something to the effect, "I recognize that you are not a native speaker, but I would expect you can understand me!") and was told that they would not offer me a settlement. However, that may have been out of anger.

So what on earth do I do now? Threaten court? Pay 80%? Honestly, I want this cleared up, but I also don't want to throw money out the window unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance for any help...

HomeGuru

I really need some help here. My wife and I opened an Old Navy credit card over a year ago. We accidentally put the wrong mailing address, so we never received the card nor the bill. Recently we have been harassed by a Collections Agency who want to collect $320 on a $120 bill.

I should mention that my credit history was, until now, IMMACULATE! :-(

I called today and apparently there are multiple companies involved. The main one that handles the debt offered to settle (today only!) for 80%, or $250. They told me however that I can contact the company they have hired for the day-to-day activities (or some such nonsense- anyways, they are the company that keeps calling us!) and they may be able to provide a better deal.

I am quite honestly totally lost. I do know that the last time I was called I got upset (I said something to the effect, "I recognize that you are not a native speaker, but I would expect you can understand me!") and was told that they would not offer me a settlement. However, that may have been out of anger.

So what on earth do I do now? Threaten court? Pay 80%? Honestly, I want this cleared up, but I also don't want to throw money out the window unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance for any help...

**A: call and get a better deal.

lollavid

What would be a better deal? What should I be expecting to pay? The original debt plus interest? Or more? How do I go about negotiating this?

kayak99

May I offer a NON-legal suggestion? (Most of the people offering advice seem to be pulling it out of their asses anyway.)

Walk into an Old Navy store and pay the original debt and tell the collection agency you have paid the store. It appears they may continue to harrass but hey, that's all they know how to do in life. Your credit history will not suffer with one hit.

chellecha

that probably won't work. if the original account was charged off and then sold to the collection agency then Old Navy is not going to accept the payment.

but i would try to speak with Old Navy (credit card not store) first to see what the status is.

although i'm still not understanding if you never got the card who made the charges?

kayak99

that probably won't work. if the original account was charged off and then sold to the collection agency then Old Navy is not going to accept the payment.

but i would try to speak with Old Navy (credit card not store) first to see what the status is.

although i'm still not understanding if you never got the card who made the charges?
Merchants often issue a temporary card in the store and allow you to charge immediately. If I read him correctly he never received any bills although he should have expected one.

Your suggestion os speaking with Old Navy is a good one. Changes are they may accept the original debt and try to keep him as a customer, calling off the collection people. Worth a try.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">