• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am i beign sued? what should ido

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpadilla_89

I live in California. I received a letter from an attorney that states
As a result of your default on the above identified account, our client Midland Funding LLC has engaged this law firm to attempt to collect the outstanding balance due on your account.

Federal law gives you 30 days after you recieve this letter to dispute the validity of the debt or any portion of it. If you do not dispute the validity of the debt or any portion of it with in that period, we will assume that the debt is valid. If you do dispute the debt, or any portion of it, in writing - by mailing a notice to this firm to that effect on or before the 30th day following the date you received this letter - we will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgement against you and mail acopy of such verification or judgement to you. And if within the same time period you request in writing the name and address of the original creditor we will provide that information to you.
The State Rosenthal fair debt collection practices act and the federal fair debt collection practices require that, except under unusual circumstances, collectors may not contact you before 8 am or after 9pm. They may not harrass you by using threats of violence ot arrest or by using obscene language. collectors may not use false or misleading statements or call you at work if they know or have a reason to know that you may not receive personal calls at work. For the most part, collectors may not tell another person other than your spouse or attorney about your debt. Collectors may contact Another person to confirm your location or enforce a judgement.

This communication is from a debt collector. This letter is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained may be used for that purpose.

Am i beign sued, can they sue me. do i send them something back? what do i do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in California. I received a letter from an attorney that states
As a result of your default on the above identified account, our client Midland Funding LLC has engaged this law firm to attempt to collect the outstanding balance due on your account.

Federal law gives you 30 days after you recieve this letter to dispute the validity of the debt or any portion of it. If you do not dispute the validity of the debt or any portion of it with in that period, we will assume that the debt is valid. If you do dispute the debt, or any portion of it, in writing - by mailing a notice to this firm to that effect on or before the 30th day following the date you received this letter - we will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgement against you and mail acopy of such verification or judgement to you. And if within the same time period you request in writing the name and address of the original creditor we will provide that information to you.
The State Rosenthal fair debt collection practices act and the federal fair debt collection practices require that, except under unusual circumstances, collectors may not contact you before 8 am or after 9pm. They may not harrass you by using threats of violence ot arrest or by using obscene language. collectors may not use false or misleading statements or call you at work if they know or have a reason to know that you may not receive personal calls at work. For the most part, collectors may not tell another person other than your spouse or attorney about your debt. Collectors may contact Another person to confirm your location or enforce a judgement.

This communication is from a debt collector. This letter is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained may be used for that purpose.

Am i beign sued, can they sue me. do i send them something back? what do i do?
You are not being sued yet. You can dispute the validity of the debt in writing with them, or you can pay the debt, or you can contact them to negotiate, or you can ignore it. We really can't tell you what you should do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">