• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable for My Parents Medical Bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vinayj

What is the name of your state? Michigan.

My father who is visiting us from India had to undergo an emergency Heart Surgery. He did not have any insurance. My question is are we legally responsible for his Medical bill? Can the hospital go after us for the payments? What is the best way to make sure that it does not spoil our credit history and does not affect us financially.

Thanks

seniorjudge

vinayj said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan.

My father who is visiting us from India had to undergo an emergency Heart Surgery. He did not have any insurance. My question is are we legally responsible for his Medical bill? Can the hospital go after us for the payments? What is the best way to make sure that it does not spoil our credit history and does not affect us financially.

Thanks
Q: My question is are we legally responsible for his Medical bill?

A: If you agreed (with the doctors or whoever) to be responsible for his bills, then the answer is yes. Otherwise, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">