• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I liable for my spouse's medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I got a call from a medical collections agency on my cell phone - how they got the number, I'll never be sure, but she tried to tell me that I am liable for my husband's bill from 1999. I was under the impression that Indiana is not a community property state. Can someone help me?

Ladynred

You are correct, IN is NOT a community property state.
Did your DH have insurance to take care of this medical bill ? Who's insurance coverage was it, yours or his ?

What type of medical bill - dr's office or hospital ?
Who signed to be the responsible party to pay the bill ?

If it was not your insurance, and you didn't sign any papers for his treatment, then YOU are NOT responsible for HIS medical debt.

Calling you on a cell phone is a violation of the FDCPA. You can send them a cease and desist telling them not to contact you by phone.

Mr.Bill

You better double check...

Ladynred said:
You are correct, IN is NOT a community property state.
Did your DH have insurance to take care of this medical bill ? Who's insurance coverage was it, yours or his ?

What type of medical bill - dr's office or hospital ?
Who signed to be the responsible party to pay the bill ?

If it was not your insurance, and you didn't sign any papers for his treatment, then YOU are NOT responsible for HIS medical debt.

Calling you on a cell phone is a violation of the FDCPA. You can send them a cease and desist telling them not to contact you by phone.

Calling your cell phone is not a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. If you sent in a cease and desist letter and advised them not to call you on your cell phone prior to them doing it - then it is a violation. As for your state being a commity property state - that is not the issue - the issue is the medical bill being a "debt of necessity" - if you were married to your husband at the date of service - regardless of whether or not you signed the conditions of admissions forms - you could still be found liable in a court of law...

dogshe

What if it Is Your Insurance?

What would the situation be if it were not your debt, but your insurance was used to obtain medical services? My sister has incurred debt, and they are suing my brother-in-law, citing the use of the insurance provided by HIS employer. He did not incur the debt, and Oregon--their state of residence--is not a community state. I cannot find anything in the statutes about the "doctrine of necessaries" applying here. Please advise or comment...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please start your own thread - it is considered rude to "hijack" someone else's. Particularly one that is over a year old.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">