• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for father's rehab/nursing home debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wroth

What is the name of your state? MD

Hello,

In early May of this year We( sister brother and I) took my father to hospital. He has complications from a major stroke an COPD and he was barely responsive. When we got to the hospital, one of the worker's thrust a form in my face and said to sign it for him to get service. I felt uneasy about it, but signed, drawing a line through the word guarantor and putting daughter instead.
After being in the hospital for several weeks his doctor reccomended a short stay nursing and rehab for recuperation. The rehab is affiliated/ part of the hospital network and they are sending me bills from the rehab. Can they do this? My father has Medicare, but not Medicaid. He is not a dependent on my taxes. I do not have power of attorney for him, but I do live with him.

Last edited:

Ladynred

If what you signed made you responsible for payment, then even if you did strike out the word, you probably are liable. If your father has Medicare, then the bills should be going to them first - not you. ARE they billing Medicare ? Do they even know he's on Medicare ??? YOu need to speak with someone in the hospital finance office ASAP.

W

wroth

Father's bills continued

MD.
Hello,

I talked to the Rehab facility and they are kind of giving me the run around. I don't believe I signed anything separate when he was admitted to the nursing home, but my memory could be faulty. I have a call in to the admissions office.
1) For future reference is there a way to sign a parent into a hospital or facility and get them service without taking financial responsibilty?

2) If for some reason I end up having to pay this bill, will that make me responsible for all other bills from that hospital that he has incurred, or just for the visit in question? Which could include countless doctors and services which have not yet come to light.
3) What is the statue of limitations in MD.?

Thanks!

Ladynred

1) For future reference is there a way to sign a parent into a hospital or facility and get them service without taking financial responsibilty?
Good question, and one I can't answer w/o researching it. Where is Medicare in this picture ? Are ANY of the bills going to them ?

My mother is in an assisted living community. She is on Medicare - all bills go to Medicare first, anything not covered or above the limits, my brother pays.

2) I think that all depends on who, if anyone, signed the papers taking financial responsiblity. Get a copy of the papers from the hospital.

3) SOL in MD is 3 years

BlondiePB

To NOT be the guarantor for another, one must have legal and valid POA or court authorized guardian/conservator papers. The person who has this legal authority, signs his/her name followed by Power of Attorney, Guardian, or Conservator.

Medicare does not pay for Assisted Living room, board, and other pallitive care. Medicare does pay for medical things (80%) such as physical, occupational, speech therapy only when the resident still qualifies for such therapy under Medicare's guidelines.

Last edited:

Ladynred

Well, Blondie, I don't know what Medicare is paying on for my mother, likely her medical bills and MANY prescriptions. I don't know, I don't handle any of it nor could I. It may be a moot point as she may be going into a regular nursing home before too long. IMO - Medicare, in its present form, is terribly flawed - as is so much of the rest of our healthcare system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">