• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for husbands medical bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdavis421

My employer just received a garnishment for a hospital bill. They have it in my name sent to an old address. Turns out, the bill is for my husband. We have not lived together for over 10 years and I have not lived at that address for the same. We never got a final divorce. Am I liable for this hospital bill? I live in Virginia.

tranquility

My employer just received a garnishment for a hospital bill. They have it in my name sent to an old address. Turns out, the bill is for my husband. We have not lived together for over 10 years and I have not lived at that address for the same. We never got a final divorce. Am I liable for this hospital bill? I live in Virginia.
You might have a complex factual situation. Were you both in Virginia as a married couple when one of you left the marital home and notified the other of the intention to seek a divorce? If not, what state were you in then?

bdavis421

Yes, we were both in VA when I left to seek a divorce.

You might have a complex factual situation. Were you both in Virginia as a married couple when one of you left the marital home and notified the other of the intention to seek a divorce? If not, what state were you in then?
Yes, we were both in Virginia when I moved out to seek a divorce. I had the paperwork drawn up but he would never sign it. We just never pursed the final divorce.

tranquility

Yes, we were both in Virginia when I moved out to seek a divorce. I had the paperwork drawn up but he would never sign it. We just never pursed the final divorce.
Odds are,
http://www.livesaymyers.com/establishing-date-of-separation-in-a-virginia-divorce/
you were separated long ago and probably don't owe the bill.

But, you have a judgment against you (hence the garnishment), so you will have to claim you were improperly served and fight what is probably there because of default. I could imagine some timelines where you would have a loser, but I think you can win this one absent other facts not in your favor. However, you will have to go to court to fight the original judgment against you and to court to fight the garnishment. I'd get an attorney or this could keep showing up until the judgment paid.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Moving forward - why would you leave such an important detail in the hands of others? Your husband doesn't need to sign anything in order for you to be granted a divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">