• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

am I screwed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffr

What is the name of your state?
Michigan
Here's my situation...I'm currently represented by a law firm, Debt Legal Services, Inc, to settle my debts. They did a good job with my National City Visa, and I paid them $3,000, versus $5,000 plus interest, etc...and I finally paid them off.

However, I've just been sued by an attorney representing Discover for $9200.00, plus courts costs etc...The attorneys for Discover refuse to work with the debt settlement company,,,and have informed me that the suit will continue. I've informed the attorneys for Discover that my offer to them is $100 a month every month, and if they refuse that offer, I'll be forced to file a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. What are my options? How should I proceed? :(

Ladynred

You will not win against Discover, they are very nasty, and very aggressive. You've found out the hard way that these debt settlement companies are NOT the way to go, as no creditor is obligated in any way to work with them. They're also not doing your credit any favors. You probably could have negotiated the settlement with National City yourself and saved some money in the process.

Might as well get ready to file CH 13, Discover doesn't deal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">