• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am i wrong? Or???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyndze

I am in Indiana.

So a few months ago, I started fixing my credit and paying things that I owed. Well, on my credit was a collection account from my doctor office. I contacted them and they gave me a collection agency's information to pay through them.

I called the collection agency and they said they had 5 accounts totaling in $700 almost $800, they wanted a full payment right then. Absolutely not. I asked for the account numbers and the balances and that I'd pay through their online payment system so that I could print some kind of proof that I paid.

So January 22nd, I make my first payment of these 5 bills. I give the credit card information, it denies it for whatever reason. I printed that off and then did it by check with routing number and account number it says it is approved. They NEVER take the money. I get paid again and pay on another account they claim I have, I pay the same way as the last time and again they don't take the money. Mind you I am paying these payments in full for the accounts they have. Once I pay they send a receipt, yet they never took the money ever.

Fast forward to April 11, I make the last payment on the biggest bill. EVERY bill was paid in full.
Now they are contacting me to pay the bill and I am so confused. I gave them the opportunity starting in Jan to take the money out of my account and they never did. Technically, I have receipts showing that I did pay. And the account I used is long gone since that is the reason I had the account in the first place.

What should be my next step?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am in Indiana.

So a few months ago, I started fixing my credit and paying things that I owed. Well, on my credit was a collection account from my doctor office. I contacted them and they gave me a collection agency's information to pay through them.

I called the collection agency and they said they had 5 accounts totaling in $700 almost $800, they wanted a full payment right then. Absolutely not. I asked for the account numbers and the balances and that I'd pay through their online payment system so that I could print some kind of proof that I paid.

So January 22nd, I make my first payment of these 5 bills. I give the credit card information, it denies it for whatever reason. I printed that off and then did it by check with routing number and account number it says it is approved. They NEVER take the money. I get paid again and pay on another account they claim I have, I pay the same way as the last time and again they don't take the money. Mind you I am paying these payments in full for the accounts they have. Once I pay they send a receipt, yet they never took the money ever.

Fast forward to April 11, I make the last payment on the biggest bill. EVERY bill was paid in full.
Now they are contacting me to pay the bill and I am so confused. I gave them the opportunity starting in Jan to take the money out of my account and they never did. Technically, I have receipts showing that I did pay. And the account I used is long gone since that is the reason I had the account in the first place.

I would pay the full amount out of the money that you set aside when you realized that they hadn't actually withdrawn the money.

single317dad

I am in Indiana.

Your "receipt" from their computerized system will be of no value without corresponding evidence of payment(s). Anyone can throw some formatted text together and slap it on a sheet of paper and claim that they made all 72 car payments.

Not to mention that, morally, you know what's right and what's wrong here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">