• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ambulance Co. vs. Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evoasis

What is the name of your state? California!!!

Hey all, in mid 2004 I was 17 and involved in a motorcycle accident. I was under my father's insurance policy through his work, which he has since quit, and I come to find out this year (when doing a credit check) that I have been getting negative hits on a monthly basis from the ambulance's collection agency saying I never paid for the ride. I never received a letter til today (after I called the ambulance & collection co.) saying I owe 299.00 + 100.00 in interest. When I called, the lady said I had 24 hours to pay before they wouldn't take it off my credit history. I said thanks for the offer, but I have a feeling something's wrong here...

I was 17 at the time of collections ensuing, and just started serving active duty in the military. I was never informed not all of the debts were paid (as I was under my father's insurance) and was under the impression everything but my broke body was jive. Should I owe them any money? It's far too late to negotiate with the insurance co. of my father, who only negotiate for 6months or a year after the time of incident.
Thanks,
Christopher

moburkes

What is the name of your state? California!!!

Hey all, in mid 2004 I was 17 and involved in a motorcycle accident. I was under my father's insurance policy through his work, which he has since quit, and I come to find out this year (when doing a credit check) that I have been getting negative hits on a monthly basis from the ambulance's collection agency saying I never paid for the ride. I never received a letter til today (after I called the ambulance & collection co.) saying I owe 299.00 + 100.00 in interest. When I called, the lady said I had 24 hours to pay before they wouldn't take it off my credit history. I said thanks for the offer, but I have a feeling something's wrong here...

I was 17 at the time of collections ensuing, and just started serving active duty in the military. I was never informed not all of the debts were paid (as I was under my father's insurance) and was under the impression everything but my broke body was jive. Should I owe them any money? It's far too late to negotiate with the insurance co. of my father, who only negotiate for 6months or a year after the time of incident.
Thanks,
Christopher
Yes, you owe the money. Your father's insurance was not responsible for ANY of the debts, since the ambulance ride and medical treatments were due to a motorcycle accident. Your motorcycle insurance, or the insurance of the at fault party was responsible for the debt. The fact that you were 17 does not remove you from the responsibility to pay for your treatments, including the ride to the hospital.

JustAPal00

Yes, you owe the money. Your father's insurance was not responsible for ANY of the debts, since the ambulance ride and medical treatments were due to a motorcycle accident. Your motorcycle insurance, or the insurance of the at fault party was responsible for the debt. The fact that you were 17 does not remove you from the responsibility to pay for your treatments, including the ride to the hospital.
Since he was 17 and can't legally enter into a contract, and was on his fathers insurance, I think the debt should either fall on the father or his insurance!

moburkes

Since he was 17 and can't legally enter into a contract, and was on his fathers insurance, I think the debt should either fall on the father or his insurance!
Nope. This was not that type of contract. The ambulance didn't have a choice of whether or not to transport him. It wasn't his father's responsibility, nor the HEALTH insurance company's responsibility to pay for the transport.

Chien

Originally Posted by JustAPal00
California recognizes by statute the doctrine of implied consent given by a minor for emergency healthcare services (as do a number of other states).

Additionally, there is the concept of the emancipated minor. Again, by statute in California, a minor on active military duty is considered emancipated.

A number of states confer emancipated status on minors who are married and/or on active duty.

Before somebody rings in with the 4-year CA SOL, the SOL was tolled while on active duty and while out of the state.

moburkes

California recognizes by statute the doctrine of implied consent given by a minor for emergency healthcare services (as do a number of other states).

Additionally, there is the concept of the emancipated minor. Again, by statute in California, a minor on active military duty is considered emancipated.

A number of states confer emancipated status on minors who are married and/or on active duty.

Before somebody rings in with the 4-year CA SOL, the SOL was tolled while on active duty and while out of the state.
Thanks. Your explanation explained it MUCH better than mine did.

evoasis

I left it out, the ambulance ride was not from the accident scene, it was a non-emergency ride from one hospital to another because one hospital didn't have the stuff necessary to take care of me / check me out. My mother was there could and could have easily taken me just as fast and safely.

moburkes

I left it out, the ambulance ride was not from the accident scene, it was a non-emergency ride from one hospital to another because one hospital didn't have the stuff necessary to take care of me / check me out. My mother was there could and could have easily taken me just as fast and safely.
Then she should have. Pay the bill.

The Nursing Supervisor would have the authority to grant "hospital necessity" and pay for it if it was for hospital convenience or an emergency (unable to treat and needs further care...but stable...eg: child needs to be transported to a nearby children's hospital due to the need for special equipment and staff after being stablized). If it was neither, then what this would be is nothing more than an overpriced cab ride and you would be responsible for it. Now, will the insurance pay for it. That is something you will have to take up with them. Don't count on it either.

Last edited:

moburkes

Health insurance shouldn't have paid for this. It was related to treatment for the motorcycle accident. Motorcycle insurance, or auto insurance, if the at fault party was driving a vehicle, was responsible. Dad wasn't responsible either.

JustAPal00

I didn't realize he was active duty when the accident happened, he said that "I was 17 at the time of collections ensuing, and just started serving active duty in the military" I took that to be the reason he never knew that they were after him. Since we are now assuming he was active duty when the accident happened, then when you're active duty military, aren't you covered by Champus or some other govt backed insurance when you are treated off a military installation? Also as far as the accident is concerned, doesn't it matter if it was a street legal bike and the wreck happened on the road, or a dirt bike and the wreck happened on a trail?

evoasis

I enlisted prior to the accident, but was involved in the accident prior to actually going to boot camp. According to my credit, the negative hits started occurring while at boot camp. I'm hoping I can at least get the negative hits and interest removed in that the first notification I have received just came the other day in the mail.. Am I in the wrong to hope for this? According to the military, it's ask questions first, pay later. Replies like "Then she should have. Pay the bill." are taken but not appreciated. Understand I have terrible credit now because some company didn't let me know they wanted my cash****************************...
I'll be makin' a few calls tomorrow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">