• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment complex -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thatoneguyaz

So I live in Az. I moved out of my apartment complex about 3 months ago, haven't heard a single thing from them during that time. We had 4 people on the lease, two couples, and the apartment complex has all of our contact information including forwarding addresses. So then the other day I got a letter in the mail from a debt collection agency, saying I owe my old complex $2,000. Absolutely ridiculous! For all the crap they put me through they should be paying that to me! Anyway, my question is, is it even legal to report someone to a debt collector without even informing them of said debt? Because neither me nor my roomate have received ANYTHING from them prior to this, and now all of the sudden I supposedly owe them 2,000? I don't believe it. Please help me.

Last edited:

KakitaOCU

So I guess I have two questions regarding your statement of no contact.

Did you change any of your numbers at all since you moved?

Are you certain there was no contact? Any letters you didn't open because you thought they were junk mail, any phone calls from numbers you didn't recognize so you let them go to voicemail and no message was left?

I'm going to guess, since we're three months forward, that this $2k is for the cleaning and repair required of the apartment plus any applicable fees in tracking you down through this third party agency. What condition did you leave the apartment in when you left and did you leave last or simultaniously with the other tenants?

thatoneguyaz

I changed my main cell phone number, however all other contact information has been the same. I'm not the only one on the lease, and the other one's information has all stayed the same. I've missed plenty of calls on my phone, mostly because I'm at work. I have no way of telling who's who when the number isn't in my phone, obviously. As far as mail, nope, I open absolutely everything - even this debt collection letter was in a simple unmarked envelope. And there shouldn't be any fees for "tracking me down" as they have 3 other contact phone numbers (at least) and my forwarding address.

As far as the apartment itself, it was not in bad condition at all. Me and my girlfriend spent an entire day cleaning and dusting and replacing little things, such as the stove top burners. Its really just a slap in the face because we honestly did a great job cleaning it up because we'd heard so many horror stories about apartment complexes and their shady business practices.

KakitaOCU

The not answering phone calls probably was them at some point trying to reach you. As for cleaning, you might have thought you did amazing but missed something on the contract or missed something you just never thought about. Had that happen to me once with an apartment, I had glossed over where they require actual shampooing and cleaning service for the carpet.

For that matter, can you be sure the other three tenants didn't miss any calls or letters as well?

It doesn't sound like they've done anything illegal. Should they have tried other methods to contact you? Probably, but that doesn't change it. I'd suggest you call the complex directly and find out what the fee is for.

sandyclaus

So I live in Az. I moved out of my apartment complex about 3 months ago, haven't heard a single thing from them during that time. We had 4 people on the lease, two couples, and the apartment complex has all of our contact information including forwarding addresses. So then the other day I got a letter in the mail from a debt collection agency, saying I owe my old complex $2,000. Absolutely ridiculous! For all the crap they put me through they should be paying that to me! Anyway, my question is, is it even legal to report someone to a debt collector without even informing them of said debt? Because neither me nor my roomate have received ANYTHING from them prior to this, and now all of the sudden I supposedly owe them 2,000? I don't believe it. Please help me.
It's NOT unusual for the first contact about a debt collection to come from agency. The apt complex could claim they didn't have your forwarding address (even though you claim they did).

So, yes, it's perfectly legal. Ethical or professional? Not always, but LEGAL, yes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">