• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Apartment Obligations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mlwh

I am currently living with a roommate and the lease is up next month. After the lease is up, we are then on a month-to-month so we are no longer locked in to another lease. I am planning on moving out soon, however, most of the items that were purchased for the apartment were on my roommate's credit card. I haven't been helping pay their debt down, nor have I agreed to verbally or in writing. Short question is--when I move out, am I under any kind of obligation to help pay THEIR debt from buying stuff they wanted for the apartment?

quincy

I am currently living with a roommate and the lease is up next month. After the lease is up, we are then on a month-to-month so we are no longer locked in to another lease. I am planning on moving out soon, however, most of the items that were purchased for the apartment were on my roommate's credit card. I haven't been helping pay their debt down, nor have I agreed to verbally or in writing. Short question is--when I move out, am I under any kind of obligation to help pay THEIR debt from buying stuff they wanted for the apartment?
What is the name of your state, mlwh?

What sort of items were purchased for the apartment?

If you did not purchase the items for the apartment and if you will not be taking any of the items with you when you leave and if you did not agree (in writing or orally) to pay for any of the items used while residing in the apartment, I do not see that you have any obligation to pay or help pay the roommate's credit card debt.

mlwh

My state is PA. The majority of what was bought on their credit card was small kitchen items, small kitchen appliances, small bathroom items, etc. Even though I told them to wait and let things trickle in little by little, they didn't listen and are now in debt.

What is the name of your state, mlwh?

What sort of items were purchased for the apartment?

If you did not purchase the items for the apartment and if you will not be taking any of the items with you when you leave and if you did not agree (in writing or orally) to pay for any of the items used while residing in the apartment, I do not see that you have any obligation to pay or help pay the roommate's credit card debt.

LdiJ

My state is PA. The majority of what was bought on their credit card was small kitchen items, small kitchen appliances, small bathroom items, etc. Even though I told them to wait and let things trickle in little by little, they didn't listen and are now in debt.
Again, you are not planning on taking any of those things with you are you? If not, s/he bought stuff that will remain his/her stuff.

mlwh

The only stuff I plan on taking is my personal stuff that I originally brought with me. I'm taking nothing they bought or brought with them.

Again, you are not planning on taking any of those things with you are you? If not, s/he bought stuff that will remain his/her stuff.

quincy

The only stuff I plan on taking is my personal stuff that I originally brought with me. I'm taking nothing they bought or brought with them.
If that is the case, I am not sure why you think you might be liable for your roommate's credit card debt or why your roommate might think you are liable for the debt. I certainly cannot see anything that would make you responsible for the debt s/he ran up on her own credit card - at least from what you have posted.

I hope your roommate does not make life difficult for you over this.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">