• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arbitration Award

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

awaisqarni

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a credit card in 2003 about $3000. Then I lost my job and got divorced... wat ever the reason I was unable to pay the credit card and after the credit card company sold the debt to credit collections company “A” then credit collection company “A” sold to another company “B”. So on 2005 they file a lawsuit for “Arbitration Award ” for 69000. Because of my stupid friend advice I just ignore any participation in case they got Arbitration Award judgment on 2015.
Since I was not living on the address where they started the case or got judgment that was my cousin address can I file for appeal? What I can do in this situation?
Can I file for bankruptcy? I am not applying for any jobs because I know they will take money from my bank or paycheck. Should I open a account under my wife name?

Please help I am not sure what to do?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a credit card in 2003 about $3000. Then I lost my job and got divorced... wat ever the reason I was unable to pay the credit card and after the credit card company sold the debt to credit collections company “A” then credit collection company “A” sold to another company “B”. So on 2005 they file a lawsuit for “Arbitration Award ” for 69000. Because of my stupid friend advice I just ignore any participation in case they got Arbitration Award judgment on 2015.
Since I was not living on the address where they started the case or got judgment that was my cousin address can I file for appeal? What I can do in this situation?
Can I file for bankruptcy? I am not applying for any jobs because I know they will take money from my bank or paycheck. Should I open a account under my wife name?

Please help I am not sure what to do?
Do you mean $6900 instead of $69,000?

Since I was not living on the address where they started the case or got judgment that was my cousin address can I file for appeal? What I can do in this situation? Can I file for bankruptcy? I am not applying for any jobs because I know they will take money from my bank or paycheck. Should I open a account under my wife name? Please help I am not sure what to do?
Without seeing the full case docket, it's hard to say for 100% certainty, but it is VERY doubtful that you have any cause for an appeal.

If you were not legally served, then you could try to have the default judgment against you opened - but you will probably need to consult with an attorney. Simply saying that you didn't get the paperwork may not be sufficient because service, or the lack thereof, is a very specific legal issue. You could do some leg work for an attorney by going to the court (either online if available or in person), and getting a copy of each and ever document filed in the case. Of course, if you are able to strike the default judgment, then you will have to defend the case itself - which you might ultimately lose - or perhaps be able to settle for less than what they won in the default judgment.

You can talk with a bankruptcy attorney to see if that is a good option for you.

If you want to live the next 30+ years trying to stay under the radar (no job, no paycheck, no bank accounts, no credit, etcetera), then that is up to you. It's not much of a life for most people, but some seem to be fine with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">