+ Reply to Thread
    njgal is offline Junior Member

Question Arrested for cc debt???

What is the name of your state? NJ

Can someone actually get arrested for a credit card debt? Friend of mine received a notice from a lawyer that because she did not reply to an information subpoena she will be arrested if she doesn't appear in court? I have never heard of something like that when it comes to a credit card debt collection. The judgement against her is for only around $1000. Don't they just go about trying to collect the debt from her? They can't actually arrest someone for a cc debt, can they? She is scared as she is a single mom with two young children. She doesn't have a computer, so I told her I would come on here and try to get some answers for her before she does something rash like run away and live in a car somewhere!! Somebody please help and answer this if possible.
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    She can't be arrested for the debt but she can be arrested for ignoring the subpeona. She was probably subpeonaed for a debtor's exam, she will have to provide proof of income, expenses, assets, etc. I would suggest she obtains some legal help asap, the longer she waits, the worse it's going to get.
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

No private messages, I do not reply to them.
    juliemor is offline Junior Member

Statue Of Limitations On Law Suit For Credit Card Debt, By A Collection Agencyn State

STATUE OF LIMITATIONS FOR CREDIT CARD DEBT BY COLLECTION AGENCY
    Quote Originally Posted by njgal
    What is the name of your state? NJ

Can someone actually get arrested for a credit card debt? Friend of mine received a notice from a lawyer that because she did not reply to an information subpoena she will be arrested if she doesn't appear in court? I have never heard of something like that when it comes to a credit card debt collection. The judgement against her is for only around $1000. Don't they just go about trying to collect the debt from her? They can't actually arrest someone for a cc debt, can they? She is scared as she is a single mom with two young children. She doesn't have a computer, so I told her I would come on here and try to get some answers for her before she does something rash like run away and live in a car somewhere!! Somebody please help and answer this if possible.
    Ladynred is offline Senior Member
    Your friend has been sued and a judgment has been entered against her. One of the things they will do is send out an 'information subpoena' that you MUST ANSWER, its a court order ! By ignoring the court order, she is in contempt of court and they CAN issue an arrest warrant to MAKE her show up in court and answer the questions that she did NOT answer on the information subpeona. As Racer already stated, they will want all of her financial information, everything she own, what her source of income is, and where she banks.

Lesson 1 - NEVER IGNORE A LAWSUIT - or any papers sent to you from the court !!

If she can't afford a lawyer, your friend needs to go to legal aid IMMEDIATELY, but if she can't do that, then she MUST GO TO COURT and answer their questions.