• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Asset Acceptance's Attorney Trying to COLLECT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yanni72

What is the name of your state? My state is California.

Here's the situation: I have an old credit card that went to charge-off in 2001. I haven't paid anything on it in over 4 years. I know the SOL for CA is 4 years, however I received a letter from an attorney representing Asset Acceptance stating that my last transaction with them was 7/6/2001 (it doesn't mean last payment -- this could be the last day the credit card company charged me a fee before sending to collection for all I know, which they think justifies a "transaction"). I only had one bank account at the time and have researched past statements and am hard pressed to find any such payment made to this account.

Should I call the attorney and tell them tha the SOL has expired? Will the attorney be able to send me old statements from the original creditor to verify everything? OR Should I play this out to "buy time" and respond a couple of days before the 30-days alloted by their letter? Please advise. Thanks...

S

seniorjudge

yanni72 said:
What is the name of your state? My state is California.

Here's the situation: I have an old credit card that went to charge-off in 2001. I haven't paid anything on it in over 4 years. I know the SOL for CA is 4 years, however I received a letter from an attorney representing Asset Acceptance stating that my last transaction with them was 7/6/2001 (it doesn't mean last payment -- this could be the last day the credit card company charged me a fee before sending to collection for all I know, which they think justifies a "transaction"). I only had one bank account at the time and have researched past statements and am hard pressed to find any such payment made to this account.

Should I call the attorney and tell them tha the SOL has expired? Will the attorney be able to send me old statements from the original creditor to verify everything? OR Should I play this out to "buy time" and respond a couple of days before the 30-days alloted by their letter? Please advise. Thanks...

Phone calls will not do; do everything in writing:

Standard answer on expired SOL and/or validation and/or dispute letters.

SOL
http://www.bcsalliance.com/y_debt_sol.html

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/Disputing_Collections/SoL-dispute-letter.html

Validation letter samples you can get at :
www.creditinfocenter.com
and www.creditboards.com

Disputes: You can write a letter of dispute to the three credit reporting agencies.

Go this website to find instructions and samples for how to dispute: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/

Sometimes errors are easy to remove and sometimes they stick like glue. It is inexpensive to try and not difficult.

I am NOT a creditor-debtor lawyer; stand by for further help.

I am NOT vouching for the accuracy of these websites!

yanni72

Collection Agreement

In the State of California, does the debt collector's attorney need an agreement with the original creditor in order to get a judgement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">