• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assuming someone's debt after marriage.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OhioQuestion

Ohio

Question please...If I have a debt through Federal court that I will not be able to bankruptcy on and I marry after the fact, will my spouse assume that debt as well now? Would this answer change by the state married in, reside in or wouldn't matter.

Thank you in advance.

adjusterjack

Your spouse will not be responsible for any of your premarital debts anywhere.

Just make sure you keep your finances separate.

No joint accounts, no joint credit cards, no joint home or car ownership, not until you get the debt paid off.

OhioQuestion

Thank you adjusterjack for clarification on my question sir.

One other question, sorry...

If I receive a medical settlement or I inherited a home, car, money etc... Are these protected from the Federal judgment as well?

Thank you

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you adjusterjack for clarification on my question sir.

One other question, sorry...

If I receive a medical settlement or I inherited a home, car, money etc... Are these protected from the Federal judgment as well?

Thank you
Why would they be? A medical settlement paying doctors or back the insurance would most likely not be seized but any money to you would be. And if you disclaim the inheritance? Expect to be hit for that.

LdiJ

Why would they be? A medical settlement paying doctors or back the insurance would most likely not be seized but any money to you would be. And if you disclaim the inheritance? Expect to be hit for that.
Even if the money to the OP was to cover future, expected medical expenses?

adjusterjack

Let's break that down.

Medical settlement. After any lienors and lawyers get paid, anything that goes to you by way of a personal injury settlement is protected up to $23,700. Anything else just becomes money in the bank and subject to post judgment levy just like any other money you might earn or otherwise acquire that gets deposited in your bank account.

Inheritance. Depending on what it is, could be exempt, partially exempt or non-exempt.

Ohio exempts your primary home from attachment up to $136,925, your car up to $3775, and very little cash.

Check out the following website for the statute citations:

http://www.thebankruptcysite.org/exemptions/ohio.html#

Then you can look up the statutes for the current figures at:

http://law.justia.com/codes/ohio/2015

And also see if a federal judgment (which you have not explained) makes any difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">