• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Attorney trying to collect debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kay2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hi!
I received a letter from an "attorney" trying to collect a debt from 7 yrs ago. They are telling me I owe my old college, for some Perkins Loan and an emergency loan. I thought I was paying as of now all my students loans but this is something it took me by surprise. The amount is about $3000 and now with interests and attorney's fee is up to $5683!! First: I didn't know about this, I know I took loans for college but I thought I was paying ALL of them. second: I tried to call the number on the top of the letter but there is no answer and no voice mail to leave a message. At the end of the letter they said that If I not pay the whole amount or If don't make any arrangements they will take legal action.
The question is: Should I contact a lawyer myself? How should I handle this?

Thank you

kay2009

Well, thank you for taking the time to reply with an answer that do not get me anywhere...you must have a lot of free time in your hands!

Isis1

Well, thank you for taking the time to reply with an answer that do not get me anywhere...you must have a lot of free time in your hands!
jeez...say thank you much? how to you plan on getting any help when you are rude to the first person that looks your way?

does it cross your mind that MAYBE all the wonderful people that post their wealthy knowledge for FREE might actually step away from the computer?

kay2009

No Isabella! I don't think I was the first one here to be rude...I think that there are some people here that are asking some serious questions and hope to get serious answers like me...but some others are just browsing around the new posts to say things that don't even matter or to me are just a waste of time!! there is also others like you to quickly to reply to someone you don't know like me and talk about "grace and dignity" (again something irrelevant) to give more attention to those like "Zigner" who is in the first place the one that started all of this by calling me impatient which I thought is doesn't help me...but obviously I am no getting anywhere here and very quickly I am becoming involve in a crazy blog drama that didn't expect to happen at all...very disappointing!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">