• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Repo/Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hark

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I was a cosigner on a car loan with my ex-wife from 1999. We divorced in 2001 and the car was repossessed sometime after that. Apparently, she filed for bankruptcy and I figured that was that. Just a couple of weeks ago, my wages were suddenly garnished without my knowledge. I hadn't heard anything from Chrysler in over a year and they never appeared to be after me. Now (last week), they started garnishing my wages at $350 per paycheck which will put me out on the streets in no time if it keeps up. What are my options to stop this? If it needs to be paid back and my ex-wife won't take the responsibility, I guess I will, but I cannot afford to pay $700+ a month for a car that wasn't even "mine".

What can I do to get this garnisment stopped?

H

hark

Also, can a debt management firm help me out with this?

Thanks for your help.

Ladynred

They have a judgement against you, there's no other way they could garnish your wages. A (scam) debt management company can do NOTHING with this.

If you were never served a summons, then you need to call your local courthouse and get a copy of the judgment case file. You need to find out if YOU were sued or if you AND your ex were sued. If she lives elsewhere you may have to go to that courthouse to get copies. Once you have the file, the proof of service will tell you when, where, how, and to whom the summons was served.

If the garnishment will cause you hardship, you need to appeal it and get a hearing before a judge.

Since your ex filed for bankruptcy, you can do nothing to make her pay on this debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">