• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto repossesion in NC due to title problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thevorlon

North Carolina---Brief history: My wife allowed her car to be voluntarily surrendered because she could not get a clear title and register it in North Carolina. When the car was purchased, it was titled (In South Carolina) with her name and her (then) husband’s name. Written as: Her Name His Name. They divorced and she later met and married me, and moved to North Carolina. When we tried to register the car we could not due to the title still having her ex’s name on it and he was nowhere to be found.

The auto finance company was no help in any way as far as cleaning up the title was concerned (we tried for three months and 14 different contacts), so, as she could not legally drive the car she had them pick it up.

They sold it at auction for less than half Blue Book listing and ,almost a year later, are now are hitting her up for the rest. What recourse do we have.

Thanks in advance

Ladynred

No much I'm afraid. If she thought the voluntary repo would be the end of what was owed she was misinformed.

The NEVER get anywhere near blue book at auctions, if you're lucky they'll get 25% of the value. She now owes the deficiency plus auction fees, storage fees, and anything else that was involved in selling the car. Her/your only recourse is to pay it, otherwise they'll probably sue her for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">