• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Automated Calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Non Assumpsit

Hello.

I received on my land line answering machine an automated call today that gave a debt reference number and asked for a return call. It did not name the person to whom the call was made. While I can think of no creditors in the last seven years who might have sent a debt of mine to collections, a call like this gives me concern.

However, since it did not name me, I hesitate to return the call. I know that some unscrupulous debt collection companies buy at a discount debt accounts that are expired and try to coerce people into paying debts that have past the statute of limitations for collection. I also know that returning an automated call gives the caller notice that their call was received, and if the call was indeed meant for me, then I will have to send within 30 days a certified letter demanding verification of the claimed debt.

So, I am inclined at this point to see if the company will call and actually name me or the person at whom the collection attempt is directed before returning the call, since in the past I have received collection calls for individuals who previously had my phone number, and I simply ignored those calls. This might be another case of mistaken identity, so I would rather not respond unless I am sure it is directed at me.

Any thoughts by someone with experience in this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Hello.

I received on my land line answering machine an automated call today that gave a debt reference number and asked for a return call. It did not name the person to whom the call was made. While I can think of no creditors in the last seven years who might have sent a debt of mine to collections, a call like this gives me concern.

However, since it did not name me, I hesitate to return the call. I know that some unscrupulous debt collection companies buy at a discount debt accounts that are expired and try to coerce people into paying debts that have past the statute of limitations for collection. I also know that returning an automated call gives the caller notice that their call was received, and if the call was indeed meant for me, then I will have to send within 30 days a certified letter demanding verification of the claimed debt.

So, I am inclined at this point to see if the company will call and actually name me or the person at whom the collection attempt is directed before returning the call, since in the past I have received collection calls for individuals who previously had my phone number, and I simply ignored those calls. This might be another case of mistaken identity, so I would rather not respond unless I am sure it is directed at me.

Any thoughts by someone with experience in this subject would be greatly appreciated.
That is the type of phone call that I would generally ignore.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It depends on my mood. Knowing I have no outstanding debts, I won't hesitate to call and tell them that the person they are looking for is not at my phone number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">