• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank account and collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?sc

i am dealing, unfortunately, with Academy collections (citibank, original debt)
and i am quite concerned about their actions. they have been harrassing my husband who is recovering from a heart attack and lots of other health problems. (he has nothing to do with the debt)
my question: can they legally go in and empty my bank account? i have paid academy NOTHING. i last paid citibank, by check, in august 2003. so they probably have my bank information.

i am planning on sending them a "no phone calls, only mail" letter (crrr) monday.
but if i should close my bank account and re-open it under another number i will.
they have been REALLY nasty to my husband and i can't stand that.

thank you so much.

JETX

"can they legally go in and empty my bank account? i have paid academy NOTHING. i last paid citibank, by check, in august 2003. so they probably have my bank information."
*** Probably not. There are really only two ways that what you can describe could happen.
First is if they get a judgment against you, then levy your account under that judgment.
The second is if you have given them prior permission to do so. Some debts are incurred at the bank where the debtor has savings/checking accounts. In that case, the loan agreement includes your permission to 'offset' the shortage on the loan by transferring funds from the other accounts.

As long as your debt is NOT at the bank where your funds are and the creditor does not currently have a judgment against you, your bank accounts should be safe.

Ladynred

A bit of info for you on Academy collections. They won't pursue you for long. They had one of my accounts very early on after I was laid off, had no money to pay creditors, and the account was charged-off. They bugged me for about 3 months, then I never heard from them again. I think for that 3 months they called at least every other day and sent a letter every friggin' week ! To top it off, they were calling my cell phone. After I learned that calling your cell phone is not allowed and told the woman who kept calling, they stopped. After 3 months of nothing from me, they moved on, another collection agency took their place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">