• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Account Frozen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

newyorkguy

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi,

I'm not sure how to proceed with this; the details are as follows:

I have two judgements against me, one for school and the other for a credit card.

1. The school judgement is from a CA and I have sent them the request for verification using the form letter on this site. The judgement was already won against me, but 28 days after I sent the letter they acknowledged reciept of the letter and stated they would forward me the documents that I request. I havent heard from them since then, its been about 2 weeks.

--Do they have to send me these documents if they already have a judgement against me?
--I'm pretty sure that I can prove that they didnt serve me correctly, since they sent to an old address and the creditor has been my employer for the last 5 years.
--They've voluntarily released the hold on my bank acct., can they still freeze it or garnish my wages whenever they want since they have the judgement?
--how to proceed with this?

2. I recently had my account frozen again from a credit card debt, another CA firm. This happened a few hours ago and I havent contacted them yet.

--What is the SOL for NYS? I dont have a copy of the actual judgement, but I found a copy of the summons from 4 months ago (it remained unopen until yesterday when i found it). It reads. "judgement will be taken against you for $2902 with interest from 8/24/2001." Is that the date of last payment from which the SOL begins?
--How do I go about getting my assets released as quickly as possible, as I live paycheck to paycheck and havent paid my rent yet and now I will be late. Will they release them if I make payment arrangements? Can they garnish anyway? How should i proceed?

Please help soon if possible, I have only twenty dollars in my wallet to last me until I can resolve this! I would take phone help too!

NYGuy

Skylyn

It is a little to late to be wondering about SOLs and Validation (or verification) attempts... Unless you can find a way to vacate these judgements, they can continue to freeze your bank accounts and/or garnish wages (if available in your state).

What exactly is this "school debt" you refrenced?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">