• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank account frozen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sierra15235

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My bank account has been frozen because of a debt collector and the only income I receive is child support. From what I have read child support is exempt from debt collection. I also was reading that there is a statute of limitations for collecting credit card debt and this time has passed as well. I also do not get over the $300 exemption per direct deposit. Can anyone tell me if all of this is correct and if so what exactly I need to do to get this taken off of my account? It is my only income and I have no access to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My bank account has been frozen because of a debt collector and the only income I receive is child support. From what I have read child support is exempt from debt collection. I also was reading that there is a statute of limitations for collecting credit card debt and this time has passed as well. I also do not get over the $300 exemption per direct deposit. Can anyone tell me if all of this is correct and if so what exactly I need to do to get this taken off of my account? It is my only income and I have no access to it. Any help would be appreciated.
I'll let others speak to the source of the funds.
I am only here to point out that your situation is NOT due to a credit card debt (directly). Rather, it is the result of a judgment against you.

sierra15235

Yes there was a judgment against me in 2005 but the problem is they have frozen money that is exempt and I am trying to find out exactly what to do to get the hold off.

Antigone*

Yes there was a judgment against me in 2005 but the problem is they have frozen money that is exempt and I am trying to find out exactly what to do to get the hold off.
The seniors will correct me if I'm wrong here but from what I understand only funds from Social Security are exempt from a bank levy or garnishment.

CourtClerk

Also, the statute of limitations no longer applies if they already have a judgment. However, you can file a claim of exemption and let the judge deal with the source of the funds in the account.

On a side note, child support should NEVER be your only source of income.

TigerD

And the problem here for your is whether or not you can prove that ALL of the money in the account came from exempt sources. If you cannot, none of it is exempt (for that reason).

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">