+ Reply to Thread
    sierra15235 is offline Junior Member

bank account frozen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My bank account has been frozen because of a debt collector and the only income I receive is child support. From what I have read child support is exempt from debt collection. I also was reading that there is a statute of limitations for collecting credit card debt and this time has passed as well. I also do not get over the $300 exemption per direct deposit. Can anyone tell me if all of this is correct and if so what exactly I need to do to get this taken off of my account? It is my only income and I have no access to it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra15235 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My bank account has been frozen because of a debt collector and the only income I receive is child support. From what I have read child support is exempt from debt collection. I also was reading that there is a statute of limitations for collecting credit card debt and this time has passed as well. I also do not get over the $300 exemption per direct deposit. Can anyone tell me if all of this is correct and if so what exactly I need to do to get this taken off of my account? It is my only income and I have no access to it. Any help would be appreciated.
    I'll let others speak to the source of the funds.
    I am only here to point out that your situation is NOT due to a credit card debt (directly). Rather, it is the result of a judgment against you.
    sierra15235 is offline Junior Member
    Yes there was a judgment against me in 2005 but the problem is they have frozen money that is exempt and I am trying to find out exactly what to do to get the hold off.
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra15235 View Post
    Yes there was a judgment against me in 2005 but the problem is they have frozen money that is exempt and I am trying to find out exactly what to do to get the hold off.
    The seniors will correct me if I'm wrong here but from what I understand only funds from Social Security are exempt from a bank levy or garnishment.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Also, the statute of limitations no longer applies if they already have a judgment. However, you can file a claim of exemption and let the judge deal with the source of the funds in the account.

On a side note, child support should NEVER be your only source of income.
    TigerD is offline Senior Member
    And the problem here for your is whether or not you can prove that ALL of the money in the account came from exempt sources. If you cannot, none of it is exempt (for that reason).

DC