• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank account frozen by Mel Harris

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tolinrome

What is the name of your state?

Hello. Im looking to see if someone can please give me some advice. About 4 years ago I got into credit card debt of around 9,000 dollars and havent been ablel to pay any off it off since then. I moved to another country from NY a few years ago, (met a foreign woman), I remember I called the credit card company a few years ago in my new country and tried to pay it off but they wanted basically all of it now, which I wasnt able to do. Now I just realized they (Mel Harris Law office) froze my bank account I have in NY state. I called my bank and they said that there is a 19,000 dollar debt. Then they said I really owe like 11,000 but they alwasy put the freeze up higher than it really is. They took (froze) all the money I had in my account, around 3,900. I dont want to call the attory of Mel Harris yet cause I want to know my rights and what I can do to solve this. I feel that they will just be pushy and arrogant on the phone and I dont want to deal with that. Since I live out of the country and never received any notices or anything, what can I do?

Thanks!

My bank account is frozen by Mel Harris also. I found out that a judgment was filed against me 8 years later. He allowed the interest to build up before he sent me a judgment letter. I had tried calling them also to make a settlement to get my bank accounts unfrozen and all I got was nasty rep's telling me to leave a message and then they would never call me back. I finally obtained a lawyer who is trying to work out a settlement amount with them. Once I pay the amount we settle on they have to file a satisfaction of judgment to have my bank accounts unfrozen.

breexway

Just a question,,,I moved out the country a while ago with cc debt. I gave them my new address and they forwarded bills to be there. It was my problem to convert the bills from sterling to us dollars but that was the only way to go. I paid the minimum and a few years later was able to pay them off.
Did they not offer to forward your bill to you?

tolinrome

Thanks for replying.
They dont even know where I live. They probably assume I still live in NY. I dont want to call them just yet cause I dont want to be harassed by them without having any knowledge on my end on how to defend myself in this situation. It will probably cost half of what I should owe them just to get a lawyer to help me. Are they allowed to charge for interest on the credit card debt even after the cards were cancelled by the bank? That so wrong in your case that they let the interest build up then decided to send you a bill.......oh well. But wont they settle on an amount just to get something if not all the money?

Even though I cancelled my credit card back in 1985 because my ex was using it they are still up to this date charging me interest. I owe about $6,000 in interest charges on a $2,700 debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">