• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank account hold

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SM1272

Bank account hold/Wolpoff and Abramson

What is the name of your state? NY

I apparently had an old debt that now has a judgement on it. They froze my bank account today, and that is not really the major issue for me. I will pay the debt, but i won't be able to completely pay it off until I get both my paychecks for this month. My money in the bank is also not the issue. It is my debt and they can apply that money to it if they want.

My problem is this: My checking account is joint with my 70-year-old mother and her Social Security is due to be direct deposited on Thursday. This is money she uses for her rent. I cannot give her money out of my paychecks to pay her rent this month AND pay off this debt!! And this is not HER debt. I have called the company that attached my account and they refused to help me. I also called the bank, who tried to help, but couldn't, and I called Social Security, who can do nothing about Thursdays payment, since it is set already. The bank said any deposits made to the account will be seized and sent to the creditor.

What can I do?? The company itself sent me a letter that said they CANNOT seize Social Security, especially since my mother is NOT the person who owes the money. They told me to borrow the 900.00 and get my account released. My mother is my only relative......she obviously doesn't have it. They said the only way to get the account released and give my mother access to her Social Security check is to pay the amount in full by Western Union only...I cannot do this.

Can they hold the Social Security payment for someone other than the person who owes the money?? :confused: As far as I knew, Social Sec, disability, vets benefits were all off limits, and like I said, this is MY debt, not hers.

Also, the hold is for 1945.00 and they told me I only owe 900.00. So they doubled it. I just don't know what I can do. I didn't even recieve the papers for court, they were served to my old address and my old landlord signed for them, and apparently in NY, this means I was "Served." I am not trying to get out of paying the amount.....I am just trying to keep my mother from losing her only income.

Last edited:

Anniez43

You should have taken care of this long before it got here.It takes more then 1 letter to get a debt from point A. to a hold on your bank account. So you received the letter telling you they couldn't take SSI or etc. But you didn't receive any of their demand letters? Hmmm..Water under the bridge.Sad to say, but while yes it is illegal to take your mother's SSI, they will.You would have to hire a lawyer to sue them for violating your rights under the Fair Debt act.Long process and it takes money to get justice.You also say, hold for $1945.00 but you owe $900.00 so it's been doubled.I don't understand that statement.If they take your mother's SSI,take your check you were going to give them and pay her rent.Simple as that.You said it's your bill and you intend to pay it.Well that is EXACTLY what you will have to do.

SM1272

Ny automatically doubles the amount of the hold. I don't know why, but the bank told me that. I have contacted the legal department of my bank. My mother went in with her social security statement and is getting her money. They are getting 10 bucks a month for the next 98 months instead of 983 by 12/10.

I moved in 2003. The papers were served to my former address and the name they said that signed for them was my former landlord. I still do not have anything from court saying I even have a judgment.

When this came up, I immediately contacted them and was ready to work with them to pay it. I don't have 1000 bucks sitting around and why should my mother's rent be 2 weeks late because of this?? It shouldn't. So now I will act like all the other people that I USED TO COLLECT FROM and just not pay a damn dime.

This morning I tried to work with them to pay them 700 tomorrow and the balance by 12/10. they dont want that. Oh well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">