• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bank account was levied by boy friend's default judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I had a home renovation project a year ago, I wrongfuly added my boy friend's name to one of my bank accounts for him to purchase building materials for me. I was not aware that he had a default judgement against him by a credit card company. The money in the joint account is solely borrowed by me through my home equity line of credit (I borrowed in order to complete this home renovation project). Do I have a chance to get my money back? Any experienced lawyer out there is willing to take my case? I am in very difficult financial situation right now because I rencently lost my job. I appreciate your prompt response.

racer72

Yes, you have a very strong case. You can sue the party that is at fault for the bank levy. When you do sue the at fault party, get ready to call your current boyfriend an ex boyfriend. He is the person you need to sue.

Antigone*

I had a home renovation project a year ago, I wrongfuly added my boy friend's name to one of my bank accounts for him to purchase building materials for me. I was not aware that he had a default judgement against him by a credit card company. The money in the joint account is solely borrowed by me through my home equity line of credit (I borrowed in order to complete this home renovation project). Do I have a chance to get my money back? Any experienced lawyer out there is willing to take my case? I am in very difficult financial situation right now because I rencently lost my job. I appreciate your prompt response.
Your chances of getting your money back will depend on your boyfriend's ability to pay you back.

You will have no opportunity to take the money back from the bank.

HomeGuru

**A: you have no chance of geting the bank to give you any $$$$.

LSCAP

I'll take a chance on getting slammed.

Does this mean that if a person has a bank account- and for some reason allows someone else to withdraw funds,- any debts that person owes -can be taken from this account by somebody else?

This woman has a bank account.
She adds her boyfriend’s name so he can make purchases for her.

The debtors ( Everybody he owes money to) can go after her account?

So if you marry someone you’d better do a credit check on them?:confused:

Antigone*

Does this mean that if a person has a bank account- and for some reason allows someone else to withdraw funds,- any debts that person owes -can be taken from this account by somebody else?

That would be a great start.

Don't ever add anyone to your checking account other than your husband/wife. I even recommend against putting your children on your checking account.

...btw no slamming today, it is Ash Wednesday.:p

VeronicaLodge

you can get married and still keep your accounts separate. also, i would think if you married someone you would know their financial situation without having to run a credit check on them.

LSCAP

Sorry, I was being sarcastic about the marriage stuff. Should have added a smiley.:)

The thing that bothers me is, That it is not his account. He was added to it.
He is not married to her.
Where does her obligation come in to it?

Just asking.:confused:

bigun

When she added him to the account, it became his property as well.
As another pointed out, it's bad business to have a joint account with anyone except a spouse.

mdrummer5

When she added him to the account, it became his property as well.
As another pointed out, it's bad business to have a joint account with anyone except a spouse.
This ^ As a former collections rep I can't count the number of times we offset a checking account for a debt that the one signer on the checking account didn't know about.

They have zero legal obligation to return the money. You put it in an account with his name on it, giving him access to it and therefore anyone who has a judgment against him access to it.

You COULD plead your case with the bank and if you get the right person on the phone they may feel for you and refund the cash but you'd have a better chance of finding an igloo in hell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">