• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank to Bank lost check in mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mugrump

What is the name of your state? Pa.
I transferred a Citibank account to a lower interest rate Credit Union account. I have proof the CU sent by postal mail the total amount to pay off the debt. After 2 months I still got late fee, interest charges etc from Citibank saying they never got the check from the CU. Say it was lost in the mail. I have no control of how one bank does transactions with another bank and feel I do not owe these late fees. Why would bank to bank transactions be done through the postal mail at my expense? They stopped payment on the "lost" check and issue a new one. Now the late fees, interest charges are adding up. Am I responsible for all these months of late fees because it took over 2 months for one bank to send a check to another bank? They told me they couldn't tie up their phone lines when I wished to speak to a higher authority to resolve this issue. I get nowhere just more expenses. Where do I stand on a legal ground? Are there any lawsuits against Citibank for the way they are handling their business? Other members of the family are getting late fees and charges on the Sears accounts Citibank took over and they have never ever used or charged a dime to the account. They just say prove you never used the account. They have to be up to something......Thank you in advance. You have helped many people on here.

There is usually a disclaimer on balance transfers that says you are resposible for continueing to make the minimum payment until the creditor being paid off receives their money. This is a standard practive for all credit card balance transfers. You should have continued to make your payments until you were able to confirm that Citibank received the funds. Your issue is with the CU (if there even is an issue) not with Citibank. You may not like their business practices, but they likely haven't done anything that wasn't in your contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">