• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank Sold Debt to Closed Collection Agency - Now What?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UnhelpfulBank

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: WI

I had three accounts from USBank that were charged off back in 2010. They picked out portions of each negative account balance and retain an estimate of $1300/$2800 in debt on their books. The rest they sold to United Credit Recovery LLC in 2011. Here's my dilemma in trying to reconcile what generated the debt, who currently owns what and how to pay this to eliminate my reported information on ChexSystems:

USBank's DDA Recovery Dept was unable to provide me with any sort of bank statement or transaction detail and referred me to the branch. However, the branch is only able to look back 18 months (unhelpful) and they referred me to telephonic customer service. They were also unable to provide any kind of transaction history. My next step is going back to Recovery, I guess. I was also given a general mailing address in St Paul, MN that I can send a letter and someone may contact me.

DDA Recovery was also unable to accept payment on the remaining $1500 since it was sold to United Credit Recovery LLC. They provided me a phone number to call the collection agency to see if they still have my debt. The phone number belonged to a mobile that is no longer in service. After "googling" the business name, I located 3 more phone numbers - all inactive. Google states that this business is now permanently closed. BBB.Org states that the business is no longer active due to unlawful business practices. Apparently the owner, Mr Leonard Potillo, is facing up to 20 years of Federal prison.

This is all great to know, but what are my next steps? I just want to pay this or have it disappear.

Quick point: None of this debt is located on my credit report.

http://www.bbb.org/central-florida/b...rd-fl-90134501

Thank you for advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

StephenH

You need to do some research:

1) I would run your credit report at http://www.annualcreditreport.com and see if it shows the debt and if it was sold to a new creditor after United Credit Recovery closed. You may want to monitor this over the next year for any changes regarding this debts ownership.

2) You could try sending a payment to the last known address of United Credit Recovery and see if it gets accepted or rejected. It is possible that the mail is being forwarded somewhere to who is now handling the payments during this process.

3) Wait a few months. It is possible that someone will buy the debt or purchase the assets of United Credit Recovery LLC and will be contacting you at a future date. Often when companies are seized and shutdown due to criminal investigations is that an asset auction is held for their assets. Sometimes the assets will be taken over by another family member, too.

4) It is possible that the debt may die, or you receive a 1099-C for the new owner or the investigation cancelling it. If you do receive a 1099-C, you will owe taxes but this will cost less than the debt.

5) You might contact the district attorney or state attorney generals office and explain that you were a debtor of United Credit Recovery LLC which was closed by a criminal investigation and ask where you should send your payment to, and see if they will investigate.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">