• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued because not able to pay "minimum" amount towards medical bill!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seniorjudge

In most, if not all states, medical bills, especially for emergency care, are treated differently than consumer debt in that if you make a regular attempt at payment, no matter how small, you cannot be sued.
I challenge you to cite ONE (count 'em) state statute that says this.

TigerD

In most, if not all states, medical bills, especially for emergency care, are treated differently than consumer debt in that if you make a regular attempt at payment, no matter how small, you cannot be sued. We have family friends in the exact same position as you that have been paying $5 to $10 a month for nearly two decades. This was not the payment plan they agreed on but after becoming disabled and not being able to work it is all they can afford.

Call or go online to your State Bar Association. Most have a lawyer referral service which allow you an initial consultation for a very nominal fee; in my state it's $20. Request an attorney familiar with consumer affairs. He/she can apprise you of the laws of your state. While there is some great information on this site, there is also a lot of uniformed/ bad information. This is too important for you to guess which it is you are getting.
Prove it. Show us the state code for most states. That would be 27 states. Until you back this totally erroneous post up, you are either ignorant or a liar -- which is it?

DC

ecmst12

In most, if not all states, medical bills, especially for emergency care, are treated differently than consumer debt in that if you make a regular attempt at payment, no matter how small, you cannot be sued.
This is a very common myth, but there is NO truth to it. If you owe money, you can be sued. Actually, you can be sued by anyone for any reason, but if you owe money, you can be sued SUCCESSFULLY.

In response

I went through a similair situation a few years ago. The hospital tried to demand more payment than I could afford. They tried their threatening tactics on me as well. My response to them was this, you can accept my payment on what I can afford or I will file bankruptcy and you will get penny's on the dollar. You can either work with me or against me, and they did.

I sent in what I could afford and they accepted it. I never missed a payment. Send in what you can afford and don't miss a payment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">