• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being Sued by CASH, LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dailybc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Just got a summons for a debt I have been dealing with for 3 years, from CASH, LLC. They originally contacted me in 2013, to which I sent a certified letter disputing the debt and asking for VERIFICATION, with in 30 days of receiving their letter. I got no response. In 2014 I got a second letter, from a different lawyer, trying to collect. I again send a second certified letter asking for proof/verification within 30 days, and again never received proof. That brings us to now, where I am being sued for an amount < $2000. I immediately answered the summons agreeing I am who I am, they are who they are, but denying everything thing else. I also disputed their right to sue, and that despite 3 years and 2 certified letters, have never gotten proof ( I kept the certified recipes and copies). Today I received what they call verification from their lawyer, a week after I send my answer to the court. It has my name, original amount, original creditor, a copy of a check, and the creditor selling debt to CASH, LLC. My defense was that they could not verify the debt, even with 2 certified letters spanning 3 years. Now, all of a sudden after 3 years there is some verification ( enough for court) provided after I sent in my court summons answer.
1.Do I still have a defense?- It took them 3 years to provide me anything with 2 certified letter requesting the info, then lawsuit. I honestly did not know I owed any money to the original creditor as I was in Medical school, till CASH, LLC came along, to which my request fell unanswered. Is there a defense in that alone?
2. I disagree with the amount owned- defense?
3. The 1st collection letter was from a lawyer who could practice in NC. They received certified letter- no proof given. Then a year later another Lawyer, who could practice in TN started call and I sent 2nd letter- No proof given. Do I have a counter suit in that it's against the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Section 809(b): Validating Debts to continue to peruse collection after being asked to verify, like what has happened here. They sued me with out ever verifying the debt ( x 2). Now magically I have some evidence- I still depute it!

Here is my Answer to the complaint- minus my personal info, obviously.

DEFENDANT�S ANSWER TO COMPLAINT
Allegation #1: I admit that the Plaintiff is CACH, LLC.
Allegation #2: I admit that I am BLANK
Allegation #3: I admit I did have an account with the original creditor BLANK. I have been presented no evidence that the account I had with BLANK is the same account as the debt alleged in this complain by the Plaintiff.
Allegation #4: Responding party objects to the allegation of owing BLANK.
FURTHERMORE, Defendant DENIES every other allegation not previously admitted, denied or controverted.
AS AND FOR AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES
1. Plaintiff, as the defendant is informed and believes, lacks the legal standing to bring and maintain this action.
2. The plaintiff has not proven the debt is valid or the amount of the debt is accurate, which violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The plaintiff must prove that the principal, interest, collection costs, and attorney's fees are all correct, agreed to in your contract, and lawfully charged. Defendant also insists that the plaintiff come up with the contract, account statements and purchase receipts to prove the amount of the debt. Defendant will submit evidence showing they requested �Validation of Debt�, by certified letter, from the Plaintiff in accordance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g, Section 809(b): Validating Debts.
WHEREFORE, the defendant asks the Court for judgment:
a. dismissing the complaint herein with prejudice.

FYI, This is what I sent prior to getting their validation letter today. I did send certified copies of the summons answer to CASH, LLC's attorney. I also send copies of original certified letters with dates, signed by the receiving parties. I would appreciate any advice on the subject!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee
Just got a summons for a debt I have been dealing with for 3 years, from CASH, LLC. They originally contacted me in 2013, to which I sent a certified letter disputing the debt and asking for VERIFICATION, with in 30 days of receiving their letter. I got no response. In 2014 I got a second letter, from a different lawyer, trying to collect. I again send a second certified letter asking for proof/verification within 30 days, and again never received proof. That bring use to now, where I am being sued for an amount < $2000. I immediately Answered the summons agreeing I am who I am, they are who they are, but denying everything thing else. I also disputed their right to sue, and that despite 3 years and 2 certified letters, have never gotten proof ( I kept the certified recipes and copies). Today I received what they call verification from their lawyer, a week after I send my answer to the court. It has my name, original amount, original creditor, a copy of a check, and the creditor selling debt to CASH, LLC. My defense was that they could not verify the debt, even with 2 certified letters spanning 3 years. Now, all of a sudden after 3 years there is some verification ( enough for court) provided after I sent in my court summons answer.
1.Do I still have a defense?- It took them 3 years to provide me anything with 2 certified letter requesting the info, then lawsuit. I honestly did not know I owed any money to the original creditor as I was in Medical school, till CASH, LLC came along, to which my request fell unanswered. Is there a defense in that alone?
2. I disagree with the amount owned
3. The collection letter was from a lawyer who could practice in NC. They received certified letter- no proof given. Then a year later another Lawyer, who could practice in TN started call and I sent 2nd letter- No proof given. Do I have a counter suit in that it's against the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Section 809(b): Validating Debts to continue to peruse collection after being asked to verify, like what has happened here. They sued me with out ever verifying the debt ( x 2). Now magically I have some evidence- I still depute it!

Here is my Answer to the complaint- minus my personal info, obviously.

DEFENDANT�S ANSWER TO COMPLAINT
Allegation #1: I admit that the Plaintiff is CACH, LLC.
Allegation #2: I admit that I am BLANK
Allegation #3: I admit I did have an account with the original creditor BLANK. I have been presented no evidence that the account I had with BLANK is the same account as the debt alleged in this complain by the Plaintiff.
Allegation #4: Responding party objects to the allegation of owing BLANK.
FURTHERMORE, Defendant DENIES every other allegation not previously admitted, denied or controverted.
AS AND FOR AFFIRMATIVE DEFENSES
1. Plaintiff, as the defendant is informed and believes, lacks the legal standing to bring and maintain this action.
2. The plaintiff has not proven the debt is valid or the amount of the debt is accurate, which violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. The plaintiff must prove that the principal, interest, collection costs, and attorney's fees are all correct, agreed to in your contract, and lawfully charged. Defendant also insists that the plaintiff come up with the contract, account statements and purchase receipts to prove the amount of the debt. Defendant will submit evidence showing they requested �Validation of Debt�, by certified letter, from the Plaintiff in accordance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g, Section 809(b): Validating Debts.
WHEREFORE, the defendant asks the Court for judgment:
a. dismissing the complaint herein with prejudice.

FYI, This is what I sent prior to getting their validation letter today. I did send certified copies of the summons answer to CASH, LLC's attorney. I also send copies of original certified letters with dates, signed by the receiving parties. I would appreciate any advice on the subject!
Based on what you have posted here, you are going to lose.

Zigner

Just so you know - each entity has properly followed the rules regarding debt verification/validation. Attorney's 1 & 2 ceased collection efforts and attorney 3 sued you.

Dailybc

Just so you know - each entity has properly followed the rules regarding debt verification/validation. Attorney's 1 & 2 ceased collection efforts and attorney 3 sued you.
Attorney 2 is the one suing me. No 3rd attorney.

Zigner

Attorney 2 is the one suing me. No 3rd attorney.
It doesn't change anything. Attorney 2 ceased collection efforts until such time as he was able to provide the validation. Furthermore, suing you is not a prohibited act in response to a validation request.

Dailybc

Is it going to better to go to the court and negotiate settlement or do it with the Lawyer directly? I still am denying the amount, as the verified amount in the paper work in not anywhere near the amount asked for in the law suit. It's about $1200 more than the original amount.

Dailybc

It doesn't change anything. Attorney 2 ceased collection efforts until such time as he was able to provide the validation. Furthermore, suing you is not a prohibited act in response to a validation request.
Thanks for the response, and I can argue with that.

Zigner

Is it going to better to go to the court and negotiate settlement or do it with the Lawyer directly? I still am denying the amount, as the verified amount in the paper work in not anywhere near the amount asked for in the law suit. It's about $1200 more than the original amount.
Once attorney's fees kick in, they add up pretty quickly. And don't forget the interest and late charges.

When you're in court, you won't be negotiating a settlement, you'll be losing a court case.

Dailybc

Once attorney's fees kick in, they add up pretty quickly. And don't forget the interest and late charges.

When you're in court, you won't be negotiating a settlement, you'll be losing a court case.
I agree and disagree, but thanks for the advice.

Being new and not wanting to disagree without really knowing the law; but, wouldn't it matter if the attorneys were working for the original creditor rather than having purchased the debt? I understand Dailybc's story seems to be one where a debt that has been sold to other creditors. There is something about how he has written that makes me think it might have been just different attorneys who are working for CASH, LLC.

Dailybc, who are you being sued by?

justalayman

Being new and not wanting to disagree without really knowing the law; but, wouldn't it matter if the attorneys were working for the original creditor rather than having purchased the debt? I understand Dailybc's story seems to be one where a debt that has been sold to other creditors. There is something about how he has written that makes me think it might have been just different attorneys who are working for CASH, LLC.

Dailybc, who are you being sued by?
yes it would but it appears OP is being sued by CASH LLC who purchased the debt from the original creditor.

He claims he is being sued by CASH LLC. It's in the thread title: Being Sued by CASH, LLC

If OP acted in 2014 and discovered it was an attorney representing the same entity he would have had a suit for an FDCPA violation (good for $1000 if you win) since they failed to validate the debt yet did continue collection efforts. I do not know what the statute of limitations for suing for an FDCPA violation is. OP may still have a valid suit; I simply don't know.

Regardless, it does nothing to the suit he is now facing.

Dailybc

Dailybc, who are you being sued by?[/QUOTI'

I'll clarify, CASH LLC is being represented by Taylor Law,LLC a debt collector Law firm. The original collection in 2013 was from another Debt collection lawyer representing CASH LLC. Basically CASH LLC contracts with Debt collecting law firms, but it seems the law see's them as debt collectors and nothing to do with the original card company.

Thanks for your question.

Dailybc

yes it would but it appears OP is being sued by CASH LLC who purchased the debt from the original creditor.

He claims he is being sued by CASH LLC. It's in the thread title: Being Sued by CASH, LLC

If OP acted in 2014 and discovered it was an attorney representing the same entity he would have had a suit for an FDCPA violation (good for $1000 if you win) since they failed to validate the debt yet did continue collection efforts. I do not know what the statute of limitations for suing for an FDCPA violation is. OP may still have a valid suit; I simply don't know.

Regardless, it does nothing to the suit he is now facing.
This was one of my main questions- " The counter suit". Both Credit Debt Law firms seemed to be contracted by CASH LLC. CASH LLC continued to try to collect despite certified letter, by using a 2nd other attorney. Same company different attorneys. It's possible they could say since it was 2 different firms then there was no violation, but overall CASH LLC continued to collect with then offering proof.

Thanks for the reply

I'll clarify, CASH LLC is being represented by Taylor Law,LLC a debt collector Law firm. The original collection in 2013 was from another Debt collection lawyer representing CASH LLC. Basically CASH LLC contracts with Debt collecting law firms, but it seems the law see's them as debt collectors and nothing to do with the original card company.
Who was the original owner of the purported debt?

Attorneys who work for the original creditor have a different set of rules than attorneys who work for someone who bought the debt from another. In both cases, all the attorneys working for CASH LLC should be assumed to be the same guy. It does not matter that CASH LLC hired different attorneys in series.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">