• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being sued by debt collector

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sherbabe328

State of Texas

Due to prolonged unemployment and no health insurance, I have been in a pickle barrel. No job, no money, no credit card payments--maxed out. Used credit cards to survive. How do I respond to this plantiff's attorney? It is a joke--being sued for $$ I don't have. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dolebot

State of Texas

Due to prolonged unemployment and no health insurance, I have been in a pickle barrel. No job, no money, no credit card payments--maxed out. Used credit cards to survive. How do I respond to this plantiff's attorney? It is a joke--being sued for $$ I don't have. Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I take it you have been served with a complaint/summons.

With no job and no money there might be a legal service for the indigant you can look into. I don't know if they can help you with a credit card debt lawsuit. In Florida its called "Legal Aid" - Colorado - "Legal Services" - some googling might help.

At this phase there is not all that much you can do (if you have indeed been properly served and of course I take it you've checked with the courthouse to see if any dates have been set?)

The first step that you can take is to file an "answer" to that complaint with the courthouse and copy the attorney. If you just forget about it and let it happen - the other side has the freedom to say and do whatever they want.

Is the debt real? Is it really yours? Is the amount correct?

Antigone*

State of Texas

I'm sorry OP I am quite confused. Why is it a joke to someone you owe money to sue you. If you were owed money you would take whatever legal means (unless you are Tony Soprano) to get paid.

The arrogance in this all-to-often occuring attitude used to shock me. Now it just mildly upsets me. I just don't get it how people can whip out their cards time after time buying whatever fancies then, but when it is time to pay the piper they think it is the most absurd thing they've ever heard.

TigerD

The arrogance in this all-to-often occuring attitude used to shock me. Now it just mildly upsets me. I just don't get it how people can whip out their cards time after time buying whatever fancies then, but when it is time to pay the piper they think it is the most absurd thing they've ever heard.
Welcome to my world.

I once had a debtor that said she couldn't pay her Dell bill because she had to have a brand new Jeep (with a monthly payment of $591).
DC

Antigone*

They still have libraries you know.
In that case what the heck is she doing in a library or any other place for that matter instead of getting a job. She's is well enough to type and click a mouse for pleasure then she can type and click a mouse for work as well.

Hey... that's a novel ideal...OP get a job then you can pay your bill instead of laughing (or crying) at the debt collector's "joke"

emach1

I'm sorry OP I am quite confused. Why is it a joke to someone you owe money to sue you. If you were owed money you would take whatever legal means (unless you are Tony Soprano) to get paid.

What part of this person's circumstance dont you understand, Wirelessany. Crap happens and with everyone out to make a buck, living can be expensive. How about the bloated price on things? Why not start there instead of attacking this victim of circumstance. Because, after all, if it wasnt for the excessive price of goods (5 friggin dollars a gallon of gas??) there wouldn't be as many of these circumstances.

davew128

What part of this person's circumstance dont you understand, Wirelessany. Crap happens and with everyone out to make a buck, living can be expensive. How about the bloated price on things? Why not start there instead of attacking this victim of circumstance. Because, after all, if it wasnt for the excessive price of goods (5 friggin dollars a gallon of gas??) there wouldn't be as many of these circumstances.
I don't know what planet YOU live on, but in Southern California (higher than everywhere else) the price of gas at most pumps is almost down to $2.00/gallon.

Antigone*

It looks you've let a lot of crap happen to you as well. Your car repoed, stuff lost (probably paid for with a credit card that is in collections), cell phone being cut off. Gee poor you, you are such a victim:(

CIRCUMSTANCE - PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEASE STOP VICTIMIZING THESE PEOPLE :D

emach1

It looks you've let a lot of crap happen to you as well. Your car repoed, stuff lost (probably paid for with a credit card that is in collections), cell phone being cut off. Gee poor you, you are such a victim:(

CIRCUMSTANCE - PLEASE FOR GOD'S SAKE PLEASE STOP VICTIMIZING THESE PEOPLE :D
Yes, its called JOB LAYOFF. You think you are exempt from such cirumstance? You must be a CEO. Get off the board if your single intent is to criticize rather than help.

emach1

I don't know what planet YOU live on, but in Southern California (higher than everywhere else) the price of gas at most pumps is almost down to $2.00/gallon.
Earth to Dave. Just because TODAY's prices are reasonable does not mean last years, or the time where economic crisis occurs, were. And, by the way, 2 dollars a gallon is also a bit inflated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">