• 1 Post By sandyclaus
  • 1 Post By debtcollector`
  • 2 Post By justalayman
  • 1 Post By Antigone*

Thread: Best Way to Negotiate a Judgement settlement

Josh078 is offline Junior Member

Best Way to Negotiate a Judgement settlement

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) Ohio

I have a judgement against me from 6 years ago it a cash only Judgement . My question is this how should I go about settling this so I can get it off my credit score for the least amount of money ?

Thank You
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh078 View Post

I have a judgement against me from 6 years ago it a cash only Judgement . My question is this how should I go about settling this so I can get it off my credit score for the least amount of money ?

Thank You
    There is no incentive for a judgement creditor to settle. You pay and you pay it all including statutory interest, or forget it.
    Silverplum likes this.
    sandyclaus is offline Senior Member

Thank You
    Your chance to negotiate a settlement for a lesser amount of money was BEFORE you got the judgment against you. That judgment just validates the debt at the amount that the court decided it should be awarded.

If you want it off your credit report, you'll have to pay it off, in FULL, for exactly the amount of that judgment - plus statutory interest if your judgment allows for it. Additionally, if the judgment creditor has had to make efforts to collect, most states will allow them to add post-judgment costs of collecting that money from you to the judgment total.
    Last edited by sandyclaus; 09-26-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: darn spelling errors :P
    Antigone* likes this.
    Willlyjo Guest

Thank You
    Please disregard the 2 inaccurate posts telling you that you will not be successful at negotiating a reduction of your judgment with the judgment creditor.

The fact is that many such judgments are indeed settled at reduced amounts as compared to the amount of the judgment agaisnt you! I was a judgment creditor in a particular case and I settled with the judgment debtor at a reduced rate.

You may want to write a letter to the judgment creditor telling him the most you would be able to pay in order to get a satisfaction of judgment filed. He may just cooperate with you if your offer is reasonable. Good luck!
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Willlyjo View Post

You may want to write a letter to the judgment creditor telling him the most you would be able to pay in order to get a satisfaction of judgment filed. He may just cooperate with you if your offer is reasonable. Good luck!
    even with the satisfaction of judgment, the judgment will still show on the OP's credit history and that appears to be of prime importance to the OP.

My question is this how should I go about settling this so I can get it off my credit score for the least amount of money ?

Want to explain how he can attempt to get the judgment itself removed from his credit history?
    Please disregard the 2 inaccurate posts telling you that you will not be successful at negotiating a reduction of your judgment with the judgment creditor.

The fact is that many such judgments are indeed settled at reduced amounts as compared to the amount of the judgment agaisnt you! I was a judgment creditor in a particular case and I settled with the judgment debtor at a reduced rate.

People who settle when there is no financial upside to settling are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed. My answer would be very different if interest rates were not as low as they are today (and expect to be for some time)

In fact his attempt to settle will show the judgment creditor that he has the wherewithal to pay. They'll just find his assets and take all that is owed to them.
    debtcollector` is offline Senior Member
    There is a sticky at the top of threads in this forum that deals specifically with negotiation. Read it.

Then accept the fact that the JC doesn't have to deal with you.

DC
    Silverplum likes this.
    Willlyjo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    even with the satisfaction of judgment, the judgment will still show on the OP's credit history and that appears to be of prime importance to the OP.

Want to explain how he can attempt to get the judgment itself removed from his credit history?
    The OP's concern is negotiating his judgment as low as possible! He didn't ask how he should go about getting it off his credit score.
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    The OP's concern is negotiating his judgment as low as possible! He didn't ask how he should go about getting it off his credit score.
    well, actually that was exactly what he asked. He wanted to do it for the least amount of money but what the inquiry was about was getting it off his credit score.

My question is this how should I go about settling this so I can get it off my credit score for the least amount of money ?
    Silverplum and Antigone* like this.
    Oh puhlease.... Someone really needs to FOCUS
    Silverplum likes this.
    Willlyjo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by justalayman View Post
    well, actually that was exactly what he asked. He wanted to do it for the least amount of money but what the inquiry was about was getting it off his credit score.

Arguably (only because the OP's wording of his post can be misinterpreted), the OP's issue is how does he go about settling his judgment! "so I can get it off my credit score" implies he already knows the proper procedure for getting it off his credit score. "for the least amount of money" implies the OP wants to know how to settle his judgment for the lowest figure possible.

Getting the judgment off his credit score isn't going to cost any more or any less, regardless of the amount of judgment!

"Arguably" is based on the fact you and anyone who agrees with you, grossly misinterpreted the OP's carelessly worded post. As I dissected his wording, it is easy to see it couldn't mean anything else unless it was totally misinterpreted! I'm not surprised, Justy! You are good at that!
    Last edited by Willlyjo; 09-27-2012 at 12:52 PM.