• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bills delivered to incorrect address, now in collecions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bevdel

New York

A neighbor delivered some mail to me which had her address on it. It was from a debt collector for medical services which I had not paid. The doctor was sending them to the wrong address. At one time years ago I had told the doctor that they had sent mail to my neighbor's address, and asked her to update my address. She assured me she had the correct address. Now I am in collections for bills which were not sent to my home. Can I do anything about it? Will this affect my credit?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
New York

A neighbor delivered some mail to me which had her address on it. It was from a debt collector for medical services which I had not paid. The doctor was sending them to the wrong address. At one time years ago I had told the doctor that they had sent mail to my neighbor's address, and asked her to update my address. She assured me she had the correct address. Now I am in collections for bills which were not sent to my home. Can I do anything about it? Will this affect my credit?
Pay what you owe - yes it will affect your credit. Why didn't you inquire with the doc when the bills didn't come in a timely manner?

bevdel

I did inquire

I actually asked them to check the address. They confirmed it was correct in their file. Obviously it was not. The billing person and I decided she would call me monthly and I would make a payment. I was doing this. No further calls - I assumed it was paid up. I called a month ago to make an appointment. Asked for the billing office and left a voicemail. Asked if I owed anything. No callback - so assumed it must be fully paid. I work, have two special needs kids, and there is so much time I have to spend remembering about and chasing things up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">