• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boat sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockfred

MN

Hi. Sold an old boat and trailer to a friend. Had trouble getting registration for the trailer, as the previous owner claims he never got any paperwork from the DMV. The boat registration went through with no problem. The boat and trailer sat in my yard for about 3 years, during which I asked the buyer numerous times to remove it from my property. My new landlord insisted I get rid of it, so I resold the whole works as junk to another party. The original buyer is now threatening to take me to court, as I sold her boat. I gave her plenty of time to remove it and she never did, so I considered it abandoned. Through emails, though, I did acknowledge that I owed her money. Do I have any chance of beating this due to her refusal to remove it from my property?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
MN

Hi. Sold an old boat and trailer to a friend. Had trouble getting registration for the trailer, as the previous owner claims he never got any paperwork from the DMV. The boat registration went through with no problem. The boat and trailer sat in my yard for about 3 years, during which I asked the buyer numerous times to remove it from my property. My new landlord insisted I get rid of it, so I resold the whole works as junk to another party. The original buyer is now threatening to take me to court, as I sold her boat. I gave her plenty of time to remove it and she never did, so I considered it abandoned. Through emails, though, I did acknowledge that I owed her money. Do I have any chance of beating this due to her refusal to remove it from my property?
There are specific steps that need to be taken prior to getting rid of things like this. Those steps are state specific and usually involve some sort of lien sale. I suspect that you did not properly follow those steps. You should offer to refund the amount you took from your "friend".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">