• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bouncing Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fuzbuster83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have an old Macy's Visa card that has been in collections for 4-5 years now. For the first couple years I honestly forgot about it because it showed as closed account on the credit report.

What happened was a debt collector contacted me and we set up automatic payments after working out a payment plan. They took a monthly payment 7 or eight times, then it stopped being deducted. I had forgotten the company name so I was anticipating a letter or some such explaining the complication as my bank statement showed nothing useful. 5-6 months went by and I was contacted by a different debt collector, we worked out the same deal on monthly payments and the same thing happened, the deductions stopped, I once again was unsure how to contact them to figure out what the deal was as the money was always available and my account information never changed.

Well now I have been contact by a third company today about the same account. Rest assured, I will keep this letter from them posted on my message board but this is getting ridiculous as I'm being charged for months of interest when I'm unable to pay because no one is taking my money.

I guess the question is, what can I do, if anything, to make them keep the account alive until it is paid off so they just don't bounce me to another company and prolong this further?

justalayman

why would you be upset about paying interest when they aren't taking money. You surely can be proactive and if the withdrawals stop, you call them and ask where you can send money to.

bdancer

This is why payment plans to collection agencies are never a good idea. It is very normal for the collection agency to sell the acount after 6 months or so.

You would be better toff to negotiate a lump sum settlement. You could probably settle for 25%. Get any settlement agreement in writing and do not give collectors direct access to your bank account.

If you must do another payment, get it in writing to include total due, number of payments, monthly payment, any interest or other fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">