• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Buisness refused refund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

azucconi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va.

I was taking flight lessons at Tidewater Flight Center in Chesapeake. They offered a discounted rate if I paid for 10 flight hours in advance. I began to hear rumors that the company was going to be closing down. No official notice was given. I had approx. $2000.00 on my account. I made both verbal and written requests to have the balance of my account returned but the requests were ignored. I showed up for my scheduled flight on 17 December 2011 to find that the company shut down the day before with nothing but and e-mail send out to inform people of the shut down. When I showed up on the 17th I witnessed to owner paying the employees their final paychecks. I asked him to refund my money. He said that his attorney advised him not to refund any back owed money at that time and he would be contacting me after the first of the year to settle the amount owed. I attempted to file a lawsuit against the company but I received a bankruptcy notice. My attorney said we could no longer sue the company for the money to be returned. He said I probably would not be returned my money. This the court erase the debt.

Is there any protection for me in this situation?

Can the company keep my money without providing the service I paid for?

Is there anything I can do to fight this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They filed for bankruptcy - that is why you are out the money.

I was in the same situation with a local FBO except I was on good terms with the owner and they only owed me ~$200. Lucky for me, the owner gave me a personal check.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Va.

I was taking flight lessons at Tidewater Flight Center in Chesapeake. They offered a discounted rate if I paid for 10 flight hours in advance. I began to hear rumors that the company was going to be closing down. No official notice was given. I had approx. $2000.00 on my account. I made both verbal and written requests to have the balance of my account returned but the requests were ignored. I showed up for my scheduled flight on 17 December 2011 to find that the company shut down the day before with nothing but and e-mail send out to inform people of the shut down. When I showed up on the 17th I witnessed to owner paying the employees their final paychecks. I asked him to refund my money. He said that his attorney advised him not to refund any back owed money at that time and he would be contacting me after the first of the year to settle the amount owed. I attempted to file a lawsuit against the company but I received a bankruptcy notice. My attorney said we could no longer sue the company for the money to be returned. He said I probably would not be returned my money. This the court erase the debt.

Is there any protection for me in this situation?

Can the company keep my money without providing the service I paid for?

Is there anything I can do to fight this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: the answer to your question is no and no if the company filed BK. You were an unsecured creditor. Didn't your attorney explain that to you?

cmm1

If you paid with a credit card, you might be able to dispute the payment with your bank/credit card company. Or possibly file in your state's small claims court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If you paid with a credit card, you might be able to dispute the payment with your bank/credit card company.
While this *might* be a possibility, if you know how flight schools work, you'd realize that the time to do this has probably passed.

Or possibly file in your state's small claims court?
It is really bad to advise our OP to violate federal laws :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">