• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business debt collections & fair debt collection act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgilchrist

What is the name of your state? tn

I recently closed a florist and while in busness I had a wire service that would not let me cancel service. I repeatedly called to do so and was told each time that I had just missed the cut off and would have to retain my service for the period that I was shown in the directory for (3 month periods). Yruns out after digging up the contract and reading it, that they lied to me every time and could have cancelled at anytime with 30 days notice. So now they are after me for all the months they lied to me and honestly, I just don't have the money....that's why I was cancelling in the first place. I didn't pay in the hopes that I would finally get in touch with somebody with a brain that would work with me and reduce the charges since they out and out lied tome, but it seems the whole company is crooked. Anyway, this morning a collector called me at 6:50 and told me he had come in early to call me since the charges were being filed at 10 o'clock he wanted to call me early to give me a chance to get it taken care of (yeah, right.....and I have ocean right property in Arizona)so when I pointed out the time and mentioned the 8-9 fair debt collection act, he said it was different for businesses and didn't apply to to my situation since my patner had signed a personal gurantee....true or no?

TigerD

Unfortunately, it is true. You really should talk to your attorney about your liability in this matter. There are any number of things to consider and it sounds like the CA is playing hardball, which means you need to suit up before going to the plate.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">