• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Judgment-found assets in an another state branch corporate office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sapphire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have a judgment against a large national corporation. I know that I must register the judgment into Oregon from Illinois.

The debtor business has a branch in Oregon. I have located a large amount of money which is being held in Unclaimed Funds by the State of Oregon. Naturally, the address in their records is the business address of the Oregon Branch.

My question:

If I register the judgment into Oregon, may I then garnish the Unclaimed Property Division for those funds? After all, it's the SAME BUSINESS, simply another branch.

I look forward to any responses.

Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have a judgment against a large national corporation. I know that I must register the judgment into Oregon from Illinois.

The debtor business has a branch in Oregon. I have located a large amount of money which is being held in Unclaimed Funds by the State of Oregon. Naturally, the address in their records is the business address of the Oregon Branch.

My question:

If I register the judgment into Oregon, may I then garnish the Unclaimed Property Division for those funds? After all, it's the SAME BUSINESS, simply another branch.

I look forward to any responses.

Thanks.
You have to make sure that its the same business. I don't know what type of business it is but many "branches" of large corporations are franchises rather than corporately owned. A franchise is owned by someone other than the corporation and they merely pay a fee to use the corporate name. McDonalds is a prime example...but many other businesses operate the same way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">