• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cable Company?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

basketball333

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Canada

Hey,

I moved out of an apartment that was hooked up with the cable companies equipment, and when the techs were scheduled to come dissconnect and take their equipment back, nobody was home.

So almost half a year later, I get mail from the company saying I owe close to 1000 dollars for the equipment that wasn't picked up.

My question is, how is it professional of them to contact me half a year later telling me this? I'm long removed from that place, and I assume another family lives there now. They say that I just have to return the equipment, but it;s been 6 months since I left there and the equipment cannot be found at this point, I called the land lord and they have no idea where this equipment is.

If they take me to court and try to sue me, or I should say the debt collectors, do I have any chance of getting off? I mean, they can't honestly expect me to find their eqipment 6 months later.... if they would've got in contact with me a day or even a week after their techs came and nobody was home this problem would've been taken care of.

But 6 months?

Anyone know if this is standard proceedure from a cable company?

racer72

You should have kept the equipment and made other arrangements to return it. You are liable for the costs of the lost equipment.

basketball333

Why would I have kept the equipment? I had every intention of their techs coming to pick it up.

I moved out in the middle of the month, but my roomate was going to move out at the end of the month and the techs were suppose to come get the stuff near the end of the month, so my roomate was "suppose to be there."

I know I am liable for lost equipment under normal circumstances, but this seems way to unprofessional on their part where a judge would rule completely in their favor. Half a year later and they contact me? Equipment of this cost, don't you think it would be better to contact the person shortly after there techs said nobody was home?

Under the circumstances I couldn't have done anything differently. I literally thought everything was good until I got a letter 6 months later.

Antigone*

Why would I have kept the equipment? I had every intention of their techs coming to pick it up.

I moved out in the middle of the month, but my roomate was going to move out at the end of the month and the techs were suppose to come get the stuff near the end of the month, so my roomate was "suppose to be there."

I know I am liable for lost equipment under normal circumstances, but this seems way to unprofessional on their part where a judge would rule completely in their favor. Half a year later and they contact me? Equipment of this cost, don't you think it would be better to contact the person shortly after there techs said nobody was home?

Under the circumstances I couldn't have done anything differently. I literally thought everything was good until I got a letter 6 months later.
You know you are liable so pay up.

basketball333

I am .. err was .. You are being obtuse. You know you should given them back their equipment. You didn't; so, you bought it. Grab your checkbook.

DC
What are you talking about? This is what I know:

I arranged heir techs to come to the apartment to pick up their stuff.

Nobody was home, so they couldn't get in.

Six months later they inform me of this.

I obviously know their it's their equipment and they deserve to have it, but aren't they a little at fault for the outcome as well? I mean, six months is a long damn time to inform someone they still have equipment to return, isn't it? Are you telling me this is how a professional business does things and that this is standard protocol?

I don't believe it. If it is standard protocol, I think the world is a whole lot of messed up. This situation would've been MUCH easier to handle and could have been a non-issue had I been informed in a timely fashion.

TigerD

What are you talking about? This is what I know:

I arranged heir techs to come to the apartment to pick up their stuff.

Nobody was home, so they couldn't get in.

Six months later they inform me of this.

I obviously know their it's their equipment and they deserve to have it, but aren't they a little at fault for the outcome as well? I mean, six months is a long damn time to inform someone they still have equipment to return, isn't it? Are you telling me this is how a professional business does things and that this is standard protocol?

I don't believe it. If it is standard protocol, I think the world is a whole lot of messed up. This situation would've been MUCH easier to handle and could have been a non-issue had I been informed in a timely fashion.
Okay numbnuts - you're right. There do you feel better? Go get your jammies on - you know the ones with the feet and bunny ears and perhaps someone will read you a bedtime story.

It is time for you to grow up and use that piece of quivering gelatin you have keep mercifully devoid of knowledge for most of your adult life. The end of this question is your continued inability to read and follow simple instructions, which is your downfall and our enjoyment. US LAW ONLY. WE WANT YOU TO GIVE US BACK OUR EQUIPMENT. -- it doesn't get too much clearer than those statements and I am sure that the second statement or one very much like it was in your contract.

Now, please stay in Canada - I don't want you encouraging our idiots to remain dumb.

DC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">