• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

california statue of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

belden19

What is the name of your state? california

I am currenly being contacted by what appears to be a law office/collection agency regarding an old debt from airtouch cellular (now verizon wireless). this debt is more than 10 years old. is the statue of limitations correct where they can not sue after 4 years? i have contacted the credit reporting agencies to attempt to receive an old credit report indicating their exisitence on my credit and they can not provide that for me. i have no account paperwork etc. how am i to prove that the sol has expired?

racer72

The statue of limitations is located in a park near the capital in Sacramento.

The statute of limitation in California is 4 years. Send them a cease and desist letter denying you owe the debt and that the SOL on the debt has expired. Also tell them that they are to never contact you again about the debt or you will report them to your state attorney general's office and can bring suit them for violations of the FDCPA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">