• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Call in regards to upcoming hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keeganman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA? or IL?

My family has been receiving phone calls for the last 2 weeks from an unidentified person who was searching for me to obtain a statement for an upcoming hearing.
I called the number he left to find out it is a collection agency, and I was told they were calling to collect money for a debt on a secured credit card(???) from Wells Fargo.
They told me the amount owed is 1200$, but would be willing to settle for 700$ between 2 payments before it went to court.
They emailed me a form regarding the 700$ lump sum settlement, and that if I did not accept it it would be considered null and void,
but when I called back immediately after receiving it I only reached an answering machine

HOWEVER:
I have received no papers of any kind regarding a notice of debts owed, and especially none regarding a court hearing.
They had my name and SSN, but not my phone number. They also had an incorrect IL address listed for me
They gave me no date of the court hearing on the phone
They only identified themselves as an agency hired to collect the debt
The case number they gave me doesn't show up in any CA civil court docket search
I called a local pro bono counseling service that couldn't turn up my case anywhere in IL, so they advised me to gather as much information as possible from the agency,
but the agency hasn't been replying to me

I've been living in Chicago for the last 4 years, and I've never received any notification from Wells Fargo of money owed, in paper or email form
I guess my question would be, what is happening? Am I obligated to pay these people?
Can they actually sue me on a supposed 4 year old debt from another state, and if so, would I have to travel to CA to appear in court?

I've never faced a problem like this, so I don't even know how to begin fighting this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I can provide more information if needed.
I'm very sorry if the details are completely vague, but I'm a complete layman when it comes to things like these

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">