• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can collections collect after original creditor is paid off?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustrated12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

I had a local hospital bill that was not sold to a collection agency. They asked a law firm/collection angency to collect on my debt but did not sell it to them. The law firm did not contact me by mail but instead they had a civil summons delivered to me. I did these things:

1. Responded to the summons with the court clerk and stated that I wasn't going to pay the debt or agree I owed the debt without an accounting from the hospital.
2. Contacted the hospital and they gave me an accounting and told me I could pay them since they didn't sell my debt.
3. I went to the hospital and paid them in full with a check.
4. Hospital contacted the law firm/collector and told them I paid my debt in full.
5. Law firm notified hospital that I owed 170.00 in court costs. Hospital told me if I had any questions regarding the debt that I need to call the collections firm as they are no longer involved.

The civil summons lists the hospital as the plantiff. Since I paid off the plantiff, did not go to court, and I did not pay the credit collector then can they legally say that I owe them money? The collection agency says they will not report my account paid in full until after I pay them their fees for "court costs". Can they legally do that? Would this not be considered as them trying to collect on an account that has been paid?
I have all of my paperwork. I have my reciept. Can I just contact Experian and send them the proof I paid in full?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">