• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can doctor and medical bills take my only home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Araemarti

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska.... Can doctors and hospitals bills take an only home? I paid my home off completely in 2007. I was laid-off my job in March, 2011. The only income I have is unemployment. This amount just pays my current bills and I have little savings. I have no health coverage. If I were to get injured or sick, can doctors or hospitals sue me for my home as an asset to satisfy these bills? Thank you for your time here.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AlaskaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Unlikely that they could force a sale of your home but they could definitely put a lein on the home in case it ever is sold they would have to be paid out of the proceeds.

It's also not likely you'll be unemployed forever, so once they have a judgement in place, they could garnish wages at a new job, bank accounts, or other assets you may acquire.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska.... Can doctors and hospitals bills take an only home? I paid my home off completely in 2007. I was laid-off my job in March, 2011. The only income I have is unemployment. This amount just pays my current bills and I have little savings. I have no health coverage. If I were to get injured or sick, can doctors or hospitals sue me for my home as an asset to satisfy these bills? Thank you for your time here.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AlaskaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I agree with the other response that you received. However, don't stew or borrow trouble before it happens.

commentator

Absolutely. If you suddenly became sick or injured, you'd be treated, first of all. You don't have to produce the cash upfront or be turned away from the hospital.

Then there would be a lot of alternatives, a lot of possible ways this expense might be paid, including Medicaid and other local, state and federal benefits, charities, donations. Your friends might do fund raisers to cover your medical bills. You might hit the lottery. Hospitals and medical facilities are pretty good about working with people for a great long time, because they are used to having broke people confronted with massive bills. If you did qualify for Medicaid, ran up a substantial bill, and then died, the state might come back and get your home. But you wouldn't be wanting to leave your descendents stuff with your legitimate bills unpaid anyway, would you?

But why are you worrying about such things right at the present? Be working on finding another job soon. Campaign for health care reforms. But don't sit around and work yourself into a lather trying to figure out what MIGHT happen to you! How many people do you know that this has happened to?

ecmst12

If you have no insurance and can't afford Cobra, you should apply for Medicaid. Prevent the problem before it starts. If you make too much money or have too much in assets for traditional medicaid, there may still be a state program that you do qualify for.

Araemarti

Thank you for your quick response. I have never been without full health coverage since I got out of college, always paid by myself and the company. I never used it much but it was there. I feel so unprotected without it. I just wondered how medical bills were handled when one has very little to pay against them when incurred. Someone told me they 'can not and do not' take the home you live in. Of course, vacation homes or 2nd residences would be scooped right up to satisfy any liens(I have neither). I just have worked so hard to pay my home off, I would rather not doctor and have the home go to my beneficiaries to give them a fighting chance in today's world. I've only had 2 job offers but they are out-of-state and for less than 1/2 my previous wages. And I would have a second set of living expenses if I were to go. I would just as soon work an entry level job here at home as to leave my area. I thought I might put my home in a revocable trust also. Would I need an attorney to help with this? Can the medical providers put a lien on a revocable trust? Thank you. (p.s. In high school, I worked part-time at a medical claims adjuster's office and I remember my overseers explaining some of the acceptances and denials on different clients......what was covered, what was not, etc. It has been 35 years but it still sticks with me.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you PLANNING on incurring such huge medical bills that your home would be the only asset large enough to satisfy them?

Araemarti

No, not planning for any large illnesses. At least, I hope it doesn't happen :-O My grandmother lived until 96 years and I plan to do the same. These days being treated for a broken arm would be large to me. My neighbor's 10 year-old broke his arm; a simple broken arm, and the bill was about $9,000. I do have medical coverage through my car insurance if there were to be an accident. I am just trying to look ahead and try to preserve what I have. Isn't that what the wealthy try to do? The Bilderberger group; about 150 of the world's wealthiest folk meet surreptitiously each year at a undisclosed location in Switzerland to talk wealth preservation. I just happen to be doing it on a question and answer forum. I really do thank you for your time here.

ecmst12

Wealthy people have health insurance to protect their assets. Wealthy people can afford it. You can also shop around for inexpensive health insurance. You won't find inexpensive coverage that will cover routine stuff, but it will protect you in case of a catastrophic illness or injury. You might find a plan with a $5000 deductible, but that's still better than nothing if you end up with a $100k hospital stay.

Araemarti

catastophic coverage

"Wealthy people have health insurance to protect their assets. Wealthy people can afford it." Wow..... nary a more honest statement made. Having private health insurance truly is only affordable by someone with means.

I have checked on catastrophic coverage in the past and the monthly premium was $575.00 per month with an $8,000 deductible before provider kicks in. I would get 6 preventive medical exam visits per year at no charge for the doctor's time. But if there is any doctoring, over and above the exam time, that would be out-of-pocket too, machine exams, Rx, etc. However, I can't even begin to afford the monthly amount as it is just cost prohibitive.
Still interested in learning about a trust for my few assets and will post elsewhere for information. Thank you. A very happy New Year to you all!

Araemarti

Please tell me where to look for this $100-200 coverage? I did find a $10,000 deductible policy for $475.00 per month but haven't found anything less than this. I am in great health. A little bit of high blood pressure but I handle that through my diet. Really I have never been sick a day in my life. Always in good shape and health. I am 55 years old. I am in Anchorage, Alaska and things are a little more expensive here but not by much. Our housing and entertainment and medical care is more spendy but everything else would be on par with Seattle prices, groceries, clothing, utilities, etc.

Hot Topic

You're absolutely right to be concerned should anything happen to you that would require hospitalization or anything else having to do with your health.

I've had kidney stones since June, 2011. I'm unemployed and my benefits have run out. The city provides health coverage for people like me, but there's no guarantee (as they admit) that I would be able to see a doctor registered with them right away. And, of course, doctors don't automatically accept the city's health coverage. Some don't see patients without insurance. "Love" the ones that make appointments with you, then inform you they can't help if you don't have Aetna, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, whatever.

So you keep looking and good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">