• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Garnishment Be Taken From Check BEFORE A Writ is Served?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rainman117

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan, Genesee county

Hello and thank you,

I have debt from when my financial aid lapsed (long story, mom passed away, state wanted my father's income info or a letter from him pretty much stating he was a deadbeat before they would reinstate financial aid, OR I had to wait until I was old enough to claim myself)

Bottom line: I owe roughly $2,000 directly to the college, not loans.

I had over $200 garnished from my paycheck and never received a Writ or notification. I did have a court paper which verified I owe money but nothing else on the form even hinted at garnishment.

What is the process of this, and is there any option to object on the grounds that I never received a Writ of garnishment before the actual garnishment happened.

Thank you,
Ryan

Last edited:

single317dad

According to this form, you were to have 14 days to object to the garnishment:

http://courts.mi.gov/Administration/SCAO/Forms/courtforms/garnishment/mc12.pdf

It appears you were denied that opportunity. Where and when did the plaintiff claim to have served you?

Rainman117

My employer somehow sent the Writ to Grand Rapids, not Grand Blanc. So, I never received it in the mail, it was sent 11.11.15

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">