• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i get arrested for not paying credit card companies??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jsf

receiving notification to contact law office to get serve.

I live in Rhode Island an old credit card bills which is about $1600 that I did not pay, which is about 4-5 years old. Lately, I have been getting letters from the local law office for months to contact them regarding the debt. Now i'm actually getting getting a couple of sticky note stuck on my door, stating to call them which is a local number to schedule a state trooper to serve me, and i finally received a sticky note stating if i do not call within 24 hours, they will take alternative actions. I'm not sure what i should do, should i call them or wait it out until i save enough money or call them?

Can they get a arrest warrant for me or show up at my work place to serve me??

I'm pretty sure, i'll probably get sued and have to pay for the court fees and their lawyer fees. I can't afford an attorney. Also, what can they do to me? If they put a judgement against me, what happens?

Last edited:

svt

no

they cannot arrest for a debt. check your statue of limitation for RI if its been 4-5 years
if they sue you then state trooper will serve you with court notice.
good luck

jsf

svt said:
they cannot arrest for a debt. check your statue of limitation for RI if its been 4-5 years
if they sue you then state trooper will serve you with court notice.
good luck
are they able to go as far showing up at my work place to serve me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">