• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a loan back from a friend without having a contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Farmersblendcof

Hi there, I have loaned a friend of mine 10000 USD to start a business. This was 5 years ago. I have received 2.500 USD back from him but that's it as his business went down. I keep reminding him but nothing happens.

Now the question is, can I somehow get a lawyer to take care of this? I have email correspondence where he admits that he owes me money but never anything with his signature nor a contract. If there is any opportunity to go the legal way - how long would it take.

You advice is appreciated.

Thanks

LdiJ

So from an American side I can't do much? He is still registered in the US (California).
Not if he is physically located in Vietnam. I am not sure how you could even collect from him if you could get a judgment. The cost of doing so would likely be far greater than the 7500.00 he still owes you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">