• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be held responsible for husband's credit card debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

b2c

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Question:
1. Can I be held responsible for ex husband's credit card debt?
2. Can my bank accounts be frozen?
My husband defaulted on several credit cards to the tune of about 60k.
I am listed as an authorized user.
We are divorced.
I have disputed the largest one on my credit report, but now I am afraid I am going to be held responsible. Most of the debt on these cards occured durning the time we were married. (He got addicted to drugs)

In the divorce decree, he agreed to be responsible for this debt.

Husband will not file for bankruptcy because he says the SOL is past and since he has no job and no money they can't do anything to him. His mother pays all his bills, and his house has a lien from the IRS. He plans on forclosing on his house. He has no income and is not on any gov't assistance. (His mom pays his way)

I can not file bankruptcy as I already did in 1999.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Question:
1. Can I be held responsible for ex husband's credit card debt?
2. Can my bank accounts be frozen?
My husband defaulted on several credit cards to the tune of about 60k.
I am listed as an authorized user.
We are divorced.
I have disputed the largest one on my credit report, but now I am afraid I am going to be held responsible. Most of the debt on these cards occured durning the time we were married. (He got addicted to drugs)

In the divorce decree, he agreed to be responsible for this debt.

Husband will not file for bankruptcy because he says the SOL is past and since he has no job and no money they can't do anything to him. His mother pays all his bills, and his house has a lien from the IRS. He plans on forclosing on his house. He has no income and is not on any gov't assistance. (His mom pays his way)

I can not file bankruptcy as I already did in 1999.
IF he was ordered to pay them in the divorce and hasn't, then he is in contempt of court. File a contempt motion. Perhaps some time in jail will encourage him to start payments.

If you are truly listed as ONLY an authorized user, then you cannot be held responsible for the debt. If you are listed as a comaker or coborrower, you can be pursued for the balance. Creditors do not have to honor a divorce decree when collecting their money, they go by whatever is on the contract that was originally set up with them.

However, yes, once you pay the debts, you can take him back to court and try to get reimbursed through the decree. Just make sure that you keep all documentation of what you spent on the accounts and make sure all payoff or settlement letters come in your name only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">