• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I personally be sued for a Corporation Debt?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jackdoc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had a corporation that I dissolved over a year ago. There is a hotel the corporation did business with 3 years ago that failed to provide us with an accurate final bill after many requests. Now they say the former corporation owes them 45k and they are trying to come after me personally. I did not personally guarantee this contract with the hotel and I personally didn't even sign it (an office manager at the time did). They are saying since I paid a deposit on my corporate American Express, they can sue me personally now. Is this true? Please help!

nrknlknek

Yes, they can. My guess is that your corporate AMEX was personally guaranteed. That said, you may have other defenses and I would advise speaking with an attorney.

OP,

Who is suing you? The hotel or AmEx?

How was the balance of the bill to be paid?

Did you pay the AmEx bill that included the deposit, or did you dispute the deposit and/or the rest of the bill and now AmEx is after you?

seniorjudge

Yes, they can. My guess is that your corporate AMEX was personally guaranteed. That said, you may have other defenses and I would advise speaking with an attorney.
I worked for a place once that wanted me to apply for an AMEX card for business travel and I was supposed to personally guarantee it.

I politely declined.

Jackdoc

The hotel is threatening to personally sue me. Part of the deposit was paid on Am Ex which i didn't dispute. the other larger part that I put on Am Ex I did disputed and Am Ex ruled in my favor on the dispute since the hotel didn't provide the final bill for so long. Am Ex and I have no problems on this. But the hotel is threatening to personally sue me with letters from a lawyer.

So the question is i think: Can the hotel sue me even though i personally didn't sign the contract with them, and even though i didn't personally guarantee the contract in any way.. simply because i paid a small portion of that deposit with a business am ex (or for any other reason)? Doesn't the corporation protect me?

It was not specified how the remaining balance was to be paid in the contract. It could've been paid via check or credit card.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">